Parents Nervous for dd!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

Dd is going to try out for the High School Drill Team this week, and I am more nervous than she is!

Background: The are 85+ girls on this team, and most have been competitive dancers for years. It is VERY hard to get onto the Varsity squad w/ no dance background (which dd doesn't really have, just what she got doing floor routines in artistic).

Several times in her life, dd has been able to squeak into things without "doing the time". Like, when she started competing L4 Artistic, she had only been in gymnastics for half a year. She's like my hubby that way, athletically. They will pick up something they've never tried and ace it. Dang them! :p

But anyhow, she has try-out practices all week to learn a dance routine, a technique combination, and a high kick routine. Then they try out on Friday. They have to achieve a certain score to make it, there is not cut-off for how many girls can be on the team. So, if 100 girls can acheive the score, then 100 girls make it. A next group of girls who make a slightly lower score (I forget the cut-off) will make it onto the Junior Varsity Team.

She (& I) would love for her to make Varsity. They perform at the Friday nite Varsity Football Games (which everyone in town attends, football is HUGE here), Pep Rallys, and go to dance competitions in the Spring. There is a lot of prestige that comes w/ being on Varsity Drill Team.

Junior Varsity performs at the JV Football games on Thursday nites, does not compete in the Spring, and is a bit more low-key. The low-key part is good, but in a way, we will be busier, b/c she will perform Thursday nites, and then she'll want to attend the Varsity games on Fridays w/ all of her friends.

In addition, she hopes to still do T&T in some way. I am letting that one play itself out, as I think she will be too busy to do it all. But I know she will come to that conclusion on her own, so I'm not forcing the issue right now. She could conceivably do one event for T&T (like Tumbling), and only have to go one night a week, which is why Varsity would be a little better for her. Then, we only have two nights out per week (one gym nite and Fridays). If she makes JV, then it's one gym nite, Thursdays, and Fridays that she is out & about. That's getting tight!

Of course, she may not even make JV, in which case this is all a moot point, ha-ha!

She showed me the technique combo, and it includes quite a few types of turns/leaps she's never even tried! The dance, if she can manage to learn it in time (they are moving really fast!), I think she can manage to make herself look like somewhat of a good dancer. The kicks will be no prob, and they also have to demonstrate BOTH leg splits for one minute each, which she can do.

Just had to worry aloud, and even though this is not gym-related, I know you all can relate to how I'm feeling. Kind of like wanting your dd to move up a level when they don't really have all the skills! As always, I say, what will be, will be.

Thanks all! :)

Hey MSL!!! I will send all the good luck fairies your way!!!! I am sure she will do great--she definitely has that "presence" about her and the gymnastics and T & T experience will definitely help her. I am sure even if she doesn't have all the dance steps down she can definitely "wing it" for the tryouts with her ability and charisma--sometimes the dance teams take that over technique because they know that the girl will learn the steps and routine in time. I am soooo excited for her!!!! I have seen the video that you posted on FB a while back and was sooo impressed!! For her to be a part of that would be amazing!! Can they video tape at practices while they are learning the dance steps? If so, I would try and video tape some of it so that she can practice at home.

Tell her good luck from me and Dani and tell her not to worry too much. I am sure she will do awesome!! Let us know how it goes!!!

I remember the video you posted awhile back about the drill team. Sending her lots of luck this week!! That would be really fun!

I remember drill team in high school. We lived in Arkansas! Must be a southern thing! ! Sending all the "nail that routine" fairies to your DD and best of luck!

Hi msl!!! Sending all the 'make the drill team fairies' & lots of good luck too!!! Wishing you & your DD all the best life has to offer!!! I'm always so happy when you check back in & give us an update:D! Good luck!!! I have faith in her, I know she can do it!!!!

Hey MSL!!! I will send all the good luck fairies your way!!!! I am sure she will do great--she definitely has that "presence" about her and the gymnastics and T & T experience will definitely help her. I am sure even if she doesn't have all the dance steps down she can definitely "wing it" for the tryouts with her ability and charisma--sometimes the dance teams take that over technique because they know that the girl will learn the steps and routine in time. I am soooo excited for her!!!! I have seen the video that you posted on FB a while back and was sooo impressed!! For her to be a part of that would be amazing!! Can they video tape at practices while they are learning the dance steps? If so, I would try and video tape some of it so that she can practice at home.

Tell her good luck from me and Dani and tell her not to worry too much. I am sure she will do awesome!! Let us know how it goes!!!

Thanks so much, mdgm! I hope you are right about her being able to 'wing it'! The judges will all be from out of the school district, so I think it's pretty straighforward scoring on their ability to do all the rquired elements. In other words, there will be no "oh, wouldn't she make a nice addition to our team! Let's just slip her a few extra points!" Which is good, as it is sooo competitive, it has to be as fair as possible.

I did send her w/ her camera (w/ video capability) the first day. She said no one else was video-ing so she didn't want to. They did give them a written description of the routine by 8-counts, but dd does not remember what all the clues mean (after the 1st day, anyway). We shall see how it all goes! Only 3 days to learn (Tues, Wed & Thurs) & then Friday it's showtime! Eek!

This is such a crazily competitive State, and we somehow ended up in the most competitive school district, oy! :cool:

I remember drill team in high school. We lived in Arkansas! Must be a southern thing! ! Sending all the "nail that routine" fairies to your DD and best of luck!
Yes! I am learning about being a 'Southerner'! After 23 years in Calif, moving to TX was like moving to a foreign country! But we love it. Truly a kid-centered/family-centered environment, if a bit over the top when it comes to the kids' sports/activities!

I'm with everyone else! I remember the video of the drill team too! I have also watched your DD's routines and I think she'll definitely make it! She definitealy has the stage presence and the abilities to perform the routines. I bet she'll pick up the "dancy" stuff by the time tryouts roll around! Good luck and keep us posted.

Good to hear from you!!! Good luck to DD!!! Please tape her!! I would love to see it!! Yes Texas is crazy for their sports... a real eye opener when we first moved here..... most kids have been doing the sport since out of the birth canal!!! LOL :D

Good to hear from you!!! Good luck to DD!!! Please tape her!! I would love to see it!! Yes Texas is crazy for their sports... a real eye opener when we first moved here..... most kids have been doing the sport since out of the birth canal!!! LOL :D
Thanks so much!

I WISH I could videotape her. But nope, the auditions are closed to everyone but the candidates & the judges!

Not only that, but today dd asked if she could please videotape the routine, b/c she is a bit lost on some parts & just doesn't want to stand there looking confused during tryouts. They said no, they are not allowed to videotape the routine! Sheesh! It's not like we're giving out the secret locations of nuclear warheads here, people!

So we had to resort to her going to a local dance academy that is offering 'tryout routine help', for $20/ 1.5 hours. We can't tape the routine, but we CAN go spend money on extra lessons. Sounds like extortion to me! I was/am pretty angry. But dd made her point, she just wants to learn the dang routine!

So there's Texas-style sports/dance/school activities for ya, just like you said! Over the top! I wouldn't be falling for all this mumbo-jumbo if I didn't think it was worthwhile. Let's hope, IF she makes it, that it is indeed, worthwhile. :)

Well Good luck to her!!! We will send positive vibes her way!!!! What we do for our children huh??? lol... Let's us know the outcome! :)

Thanks for the support & good wishes everyone!

Dd made the Junior Varsity squad! She is happy. I know she was secretly hoping for a spot on Varsity, but it was a long shot. Very few incoming 9th graders made it to Varsity, and those who did have been competitive dancers since they were tiny tots.

So, dd will have a nice group of 40 girls to have as instant friends upon entering High School, and she will get great performing experience in the next year. It will prepare her for trying out for Varsity, next year if she chooses.

Hope you are all well! :)

Congrats to her on making JV squad. I think that is probably pretty amazing considering she has no formal dance training! She will have fun and have an awesome time I am sure!

woo hoo!!!!way to go!!!! Congrats to her!!!!! You will have to keep us posted on performances. She will have so much fun!

Well that is awesome, I am sure she'll be in the Varsity group next year and this will give her a year to learn all the techniques.

What exactly does varsity mean, is iit just a slang version of University, or does it actually mean something?

Thanks all!

After hearing a bit more from K. & some of her friends, it seems we should be quite relieved that she even made the JV squad. We found out that a few of her classmates that tried out, who HAVE dance studio experience, did NOTeven make it onto either squad. So, she is quite thrilled, and is excited about next year.

Bog, great question! As far as formal definitions go, your are correct. the term 'Varsity' is derived from the word 'University'.

In terms of Sports, the word Varsity means "the principal athletic teams representing a college or university, high school, or middle school". For instance, the High School's main Football team, as in the team that advances to Regionals and States, is the Varsity team. It can be made up of Freshmen through Seniors. But generally, in most High School Sports, it is very difficult to secure a Varsity team spot as Freshman (9th grader).

So, in turn, Junior Varsity (JV) kind of means 'sub-Varsity'. Often, JV teams are made up of the lower two high school classes (Freshman/Sophomore or 9th & 10th grade), but can still include Juniors & Seniors (11th & 12th). Generally, a JV spot is not as desirable to these upper-class grades though.

JV teams generally play their games on Thursday nights, whereas the Varsity teams are the 'headliners' on Friday nights, and are the more visible, featured team. This applies to virtually all high school sports, be it soccer, baseball, track, and even Drill Team.

So there you go! More information than you ever wanted, I'm sure I am totally 'over-sharing', ha-ha!

Thanks again! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back