WAG never seen this vault? what is it called?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

I have just seen tsuks and yurchenkos on vault so far, but yesterday there was a group of girl training a front handspring and then a salto directly after it. Looked like a tsuk but a front salto not a back one.

Here is a video:

I was wondering what this is called and it is easier than a tsuk or a yurchenko?

It is a handspring front (as it's called in the UK, I think it's called something different in the US) it's actually quite common lots of gymnasts do it! It depends on what type of gymnast you are some gymnasts find tsuks easier some find yurchenkos easier and some find handspring fronts easier, although in the FIG code it is worth .2 more than a pike tsuk, so I guess the FIG rhinitis harder. But in my experience it just depends what type of gymnast you are :)

Handspring front salto - as coach1234 mentioned it is a very common vault. We have a lot more kids performing them than tusks and yurchenkos.

Handspring front salto requires more power than the back tumbling vaults.

I haven't seen a lot of girls competing it, but it's not uncommon at all on the guys' side. One of DD's friends will probably compete it at L9 this coming year, as it seems to be working better than her tsuk.

handspring front in the USA also. different vault just means different difficulty.

D is working this and a tsuk. I think he will compete the tsuk but we shall see.

On DD little L7 (our younger/smaller girls compared to the other half the team which is significantly older/bigger) team there will be 2 girls doing the front handspring front and two will do Yurchenkos when they reach L8.

Was far more common before the advent of the 'compulsory' yurchenko vault. ;) Far more dangerous in my opinion than either the yurchenko or tsuk.

On DD little L7 (our younger/smaller girls compared to the other half the team which is significantly older/bigger) team there will be 2 girls doing the front handspring front and two will do Yurchenkos when they reach L8.

A Hand Front at L8?

I think L8 at least definitely L9. They are are training them right now. They both have REALLY strong FHS vaults.

Our YMCA District had the high school state vault champ who competed a front handspring front :) She also competed it at our district meet (which we hosted).

I've never seen one at L8. I agree that they seem more dangerous too! We had an L9 at the old gym compete it, and it was scary at times.

Maybe it will be a L9 vault then. It was just mentioned at the same time as my DD will do Yurchenko at L8 and the others two will do the front handspring front. If you ask me I think ALL vaults past the front handspring are scary!

For girls in USAG, they're not allowed until level 9, while Yurchenkos and Tsuks are allowed at level 8.
For boys in USAG, tsuks and handspring fronts are allowed at level 8, but yurchenkos aren't allowed until level 9.

Generally, a Yurchenko is more of a finesse/technique vault, a handspring front is more of a power vault, and a tsuk is sort of in between.

Mine competed a Tsuk for level8 and is doing a front handspring front for L9. Not super common around here.

DS L7 training it for next year...DD L8 training Yurchenko for this year....the difference in the power of the boy to the girl is amazing, they do similar skills now, and are both considered "powerful" gymnasts - but his "power" is much more than her's - I can't imagine most of the L8-9 girls I know doing the front front safely....he's been flipping them in the pit since new coach pulled him out of L5 H***

DS L7 training it for next year...DD L8 training Yurchenko for this year....the difference in the power of the boy to the girl is amazing, they do similar skills now, and are both considered "powerful" gymnasts - but his "power" is much more than her's - I can't imagine most of the L8-9 girls I know doing the front front safely....he's been flipping them in the pit since new coach pulled him out of L5 H***
==
most do yurchenko or suk entry in upper level optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back