Coaches New Coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SSR

Coach
Gymnast
I've just started coaching at my gym, I've been helping with preschool classes for about a year now, but I was just officially hired and have started to work with beginner and intermediate classes. I was wondering if you have any tips for coaching? I'm really excited and I'm trying really hard to become a qualified coach so I can teach team girls later on.

...? Do you not have to qualify at a coach in order to, you know, coach?

It seems weird to me that you're asking for tips on how to coach while also saying that you're a coach but hope to become qualified as a coach...?

Best tip is to browse sites like swingbig.org, here, and various Youtube videos and handpick drills and use ideas for your own lesson plans. Just depending on the skill level of your kids, you might dedicates one floor day to handstands and shaping, the next floor day to cartwheels and rolls, and another for jumps/leaps/turns/other dance.

Spend time watching and working with other, more experienced, coaches at your gym. Have they had you work alongside or spend time shadowing another coach? I imagine you teach your current classes with someone else? Spend time watching and learning from them, ask them questions if you are unsure or just curious about something. Every coach is a little different, so you don't need to adapt every part of your coaching style to your mentor, but it's a great place to get started. See if there are opportunities to just watch other classes. Does your gym provide periodic training for coaches to teach spotting? If not, ask a coach to help teach you. And if you ever don't know how to spot something, ask! Just take in everything that you can!
And blogs and YouTube videos are great resources as well.

It seems weird to me that you're asking for tips on how to coach while also saying that you're a coach but hope to become qualified as a coach...?
I have been in coaches training for about a year but only with preschool students. I'm just starting learning how to coach older levels. I was just wondering if coaches from other gyms had any insight for a beginning coach. I figured the coaches forum was the best place to ask that.

Spend time watching and working with other, more experienced, coaches at your gym. Have they had you work alongside or spend time shadowing another coach? I imagine you teach your current classes with someone else? Spend time watching and learning from them, ask them questions if you are unsure or just curious about something. Every coach is a little different, so you don't need to adapt every part of your coaching style to your mentor, but it's a great place to get started. See if there are opportunities to just watch other classes. Does your gym provide periodic training for coaches to teach spotting? If not, ask a coach to help teach you. And if you ever don't know how to spot something, ask! Just take in everything that you can!
And blogs and YouTube videos are great resources as well.
Thank you! I have been shadowing and going to spotting clinics for a little while now. I didn't even think about YouTube!

Best tip is to browse sites like swingbig.org, here, and various Youtube videos and handpick drills and use ideas for your own lesson plans. Just depending on the skill level of your kids, you might dedicates one floor day to handstands and shaping, the next floor day to cartwheels and rolls, and another for jumps/leaps/turns/other dance.
Great website. Thank you!

Coachmolly's advice is right on. If you can be humble enough to keep asking questions, there's no limit to what you can learn. Aero on this board is one of the best examples I've seen of that.
Yes, yes, yes! Ask questions always! And question yourself, too. Reflect on each class when you have a moment.How did it go? What went really well? What didn't go as planned, and why? Do lots of research on drills, as well as biomechanics. Come up with lots of drills that are fun, as well as ones that get rid of fear. Those kinds of drills really go a long way with rec kids, and they can be put to really good use in a team program when you eventually start doing that. ChalkBucket is also one of the best websites out there, too. I have learned so much from this forum. It's my secret weapon. Good luck!

@strawberries, thanks. :)

Unlike the UK and Canada there is no mandatory coach training in the US beyond first aid.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the book Championship Gymnastics by Gerald George. It's an excellent introduction to the theory and principles underlying proper technique.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back