WAG New Recruiting Rules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They are definitely NOT done with that year, there are many elites in that year and below that are unsigned--they probably have offers. Not to mention very strong JO's. Nobody on this board has the "T" to all the college programs. I'm sure all the top programs have offers out to the Canadian Padurariu, she's even older, a sophomore, and lots more of the junior elites are holding offers that are certainly freshman and younger. Leanne Wong hasn't even committed yet and she's one of US best, a senior elite also a sophomore. My daughter has friends holding offers that are outside the 8th grade class. This is just from my little uninformed brain. I think the new rule will be better for most gymnasts, and the recruiting will be more out in the open, hopefully.
So those that are "holding offers" won't they have to either accept or deny the offer before May 1 (for those that aren't yet juniors)??

Exactly- that's why I find it laughable that some think there will be a sudden flood of verbal announcements tomorrow for 8th graders. 3/4 of the 2022 class remains uncommited.

I think in the long run, it will be better for everyone involved -- If the gymnasts are great as 8th and 9th graders, hopefully, they will be even better as 10th and 11th graders. It will give late bloomer a fighting chance as well.

It's even better for the college coaches-- no longer have to race for the 7th, 8th, 9th grader and pray that they don't get injured or burnt out by 11th grade. They won't have to take back a verbal commitment when a once-promising 8th grader can no longer do all the skills that got her recruited due to injuries or puberty.

They are definitely NOT done with that year, there are many elites in that year and below that are unsigned--they probably have offers. Not to mention very strong JO's. Nobody on this board has the "T" to all the college programs. I'm sure all the top programs have offers out to the Canadian Padurariu, she's even older, a sophomore, and lots more of the junior elites are holding offers that are certainly freshman and younger. Leanne Wong hasn't even committed yet and she's one of US best, a senior elite also a sophomore. My daughter has friends holding offers that are outside the 8th grade class. This is just from my little uninformed brain. I think the new rule will be better for most gymnasts, and the recruiting will be more out in the open, hopefully.

The new rules are also having an effect on other sports. I just had a friend whose son committed to a D1 school for golf. He is in 9th grade. I was actually really surprised (not that he was recruited- he is an amazing talent who has already qualified for major tournaments- meaning ones that I have heard of and seen on tv- lol!) because other than gymnastics, I really didn't think that early recruiting was a "thing" for other sports- certainly not golf!

I’ve heard of a few verbals today but I don’t know if they have announced. Most of the 8th graders being recruited are in hot demand and are not being pressured to accept today.

Quite a few 7th graders talked to coaches this morning with the understanding they cannot talk again until camps.

I’ve heard of a few verbals today but I don’t know if they have announced. Most of the 8th graders being recruited are in hot demand and are not being pressured to accept today.

Quite a few 7th graders talked to coaches this morning with the understanding they cannot talk again until camps.
Yes they did!! My 7th grader had a VERY exciting phone call today!!!

So those that are "holding offers" won't they have to either accept or deny the offer before May 1 (for those that aren't yet juniors)??

I sure hope they don't feel pressured to accept or deny by today- if people follow the new rules, then everything should just go into a 'hold' pattern until June 15th of their Sophomore year, right? Gymnasts can just continue to focus on continuing to improve and then resume conversations after their Sophomore year...if no one can be offered scholarships in the meantime, then any offers made should still be there after the 'pause.' It does seem like it puts people in an odd position for now, but I think this is going to be a very positive thing for both the gymnasts and the college coaches moving forward.

What happens on an unofficial? Do parents go? Keep their mouth shut? My gymnast is 16, so I'm fine with her going on her own and want her to make an independent decision.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back