Parents new skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

homer

Proud Parent
Hi

My son is 8 and has been doing gym for 3 years. He is having a problem with tumbling. His coach seems frustrated that he cant get the straight front somersault, he is also having problems with back and front summies. In general he keeps up with his peers and has very good form with above average flexibility, but he always seems to be behind when it comes to tumbling. He can do ROBHS but they are now being taught to do ROBHSBT and again he is behind.

I know all children learn at different rates but if he is having these issues now do you think he is just not cut out for the sport? Is this something he may become better at with time? He is very small and light, do you think this may be an issue?

Hoping someone else out there has had same problems and got through it.....!

Thanks

Welcome to CB! I love when we see new boy parents :)

My ds will frequently lock on skills that seem to take forever. It can vary from month to month. It took him a full year to get his back full but was doing a back lay with 2 twists on the tramp this week. It took about 8 months to get back giants on strap, then almost immediately he was doing them on the bar.

Some kids pick up skills quickly, and others take a little longer. I wouldn't think of him as "behind" but just "working". IMO there is no behind in MAG. Each boy develops differently, and will gain strength and skills on their own time table!

Again...welcome to CB!!!

Welcome to CB! I love when we see new boy parents :)

My ds will frequently lock on skills that seem to take forever. It can vary from month to month. It took him a full year to get his back full but was doing a back lay with 2 twists on the tramp this week. It took about 8 months to get back giants on strap, then almost immediately he was doing them on the bar.

Some kids pick up skills quickly, and others take a little longer. I wouldn't think of him as "behind" but just "working". IMO there is no behind in MAG. Each boy develops differently, and will gain strength and skills on their own time table!

Again...welcome to CB!!!

Thanks have a been a long time lurker...!

I suppose it is just hard to see him struggling with skills that others seem to pick up easily. We seem to be investing a lot of time(mine and his!) in the sport and all other activities have now been dropped. I suppose it's natural to wonder is it worth it? I know that he loves it, but he has been doing it for so long and the increase in hours seem to creep up on you!

Is it normal for the coach to get frustrated as well...?

LOL! I think D's coach is frustrated a lot. We frequently here "he was just D today" Which means his head wasn't quite in things and coach was frustrated.

If he loves it, then it is worth it. He is older enough to let you know if he wants to be doing other things instead. I can't speak for his coach, but my daughter struggled with her robhs last year. She had it. Then they reverted to basics after comps were over and she lost it. Yes, the coach got frustrated - probably more frustrated than my daughter who was happy just to keep trying. It seemed to take forever while other girls got theirs straight away. Coach muttered to me, but never let my daughter see how frustrated she was. She can now do multiple bhs's - right across the floor. It's that kind of sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back