Parents new to sport with 8yo, which gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think Jade above is a picture of one end of the spectrum. An 8 year old child with talent might not need a whole other year in preteam to prepare for L3 except that, as the mom was saying, she's on the top of the group and they don't think they have a faster group to move her to. Tortuga, what is she missing of her L3 skills?

^^ Jade is apparently in an elite gymnastics program, is a child actress, a child model, AND an award-winning author. What a Renaissance kid at the tender age of 8. No pressure on her at all.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer. Anything is possible, but I just think it's too soon to think elite training prior to competing level 3. There are so many really, really talented kids out there. There is a gym near us that home schools the gymnasts starting in first grade, and I just don't agree with that in elementary school. (Not against the homeschooling part. The living at a homeschooling gym so the kids can train 7 hours/day.). I couldn't entertain the thought of going elite unless my child was approaching level 10. I would just be happy to have my child enjoying the sport and working to her potential. Shawn Johnson's mom always seemed to have a good attitude about going elite from the few interviews I've read. Anyways, I would see how she does on team first. This sport is frustrating in that you feel like you have to rush because the girls physically peak at a young age, but you also have to be so patient at the same time.

What skills does your daughter have? What does she work in her practices, and how many hours does she practice?

If the compulsory season is just starting where you are, it's not a great time for this unfortunately. The summer would have been better. If it's a state where the compulsory season is in the fall, and just ending, then it's possible for her to be put in a higher level (3 or 4) if she shows the conditioning, flexibility, and coordination that would indicate she has the potential to "catch up" quickly. However, if two gyms have placed her in a preteam group, she probably needs more time to gain strength and polish skills.

I had 3 daughters in gymnastics and my oldest was about 8 when she started. She was asked immediately to team track and was put on pre team and then scored out of level 5 and 6 all within a few years. She started her first full season at level 7 and won almost every meet that season. She was level 8 state and regional champion at the age of 12 and then moved to level 9 and was state champion, 3rd at Regionals and 4th at Westerns at 13. Went on to become 2x level 10 National Qualifier and was level 10 2nd AA 2 years in a row at regionals by 15. With all of her accomplishments, she was nowhere near being Elite or Olympic level. That is an entirely different world. We have a friend at an Elite training center who is 13 and on the National Team and we were at a gym with an Olympian. My point is that thousands and thousands of kids start at the lower levels, far less make it to optional levels, and a very minuscule amount-less than 100 last time I saw a statistic- even make elite. There are far more realistic goals to be aiming for along the way. My daughter also wanted to make the Olympics, but with 5 girls every 4 years making the team and only a few hundred getting college scholarships out of the top level 10's and elites (including other countries) I would take one step at a time, especially given that she hasn't even competed yet. Gymnastics is a LONG road and so much can happen.

She currently trains 2 three hour sessions a week for a total of 6 hours. (one other gym is also 6, other is 8 hours). I haven't looked at the skills list in a while and just did... without getting her out of bed to ask, I *think* she's got them all except on bars, the single-leg-shoot-through (working on it) and for floor, the flic-flac (can do on wedge and tramp).

And yes, we know it's a loooong road and know there are MANY intermediate goals and decision points. The concern is that, given she is starting late, do we need to "up" the training at a more "competitive" gym. but it's sounding like she may be okay where she is... Maybe after another gym evaluation we'll have a better sense of where she fits at other gyms' preteams. If she's looking like a top girl at preteam at those gyms then it seems we're good as is.

There is no "faster" or more advanced group at any of the gyms -- those groups are all currently competing so there is no "higher" placement than preteam for her at any gym until move up evaluations in spring.

Seems like the question to explore at all the gyms is whether they encourage/allow/train for moving multiple levels per year *IF* she shows the readiness.

I'm feeling like we might be best served by starting the competition with our current gym since she's happy with the coach/team (and it's only 2 miles from home!!) and re-evaluate after she has some more "real meet" experience.

This is ALL great stuff to think about. Thank you for giving me an assortment of examples and concerns to consider.

I don't want to sound discouraging. I too have a young gymnast who would love to go to the Olympics! However, being realistic, I know that's not even in the realm of possibility for my kid and I'm perfectly ok with that. My kid is 9, competing L4 and not the superstar of the group. As long as she is thriving, happy and progressing... I'm happy and will support gym in any way I can. I suspect she will progress through levels in a normal fashion, she's a hard worker in gym, but I don't know that she'll ever be a L10. I'm ok with that!
Now, having said that.... We have 2 girls at our gym that are our " wunderkinds". One is 8 and competing L8, the other is 9 ( close to 10) and competing L9. These kids are honestly the only girls in our gym that have even a shot at going elite... And even if they go elite, chances of them making the national or Olympic team.... Slim at best.
Again, I'm totally and completely at peace with the fact that this is not in our future. I'm not sure I would even want my kid to be so super talented because there's a lot of stress and hardship that goes along with that.

When my gymmie tells me she wants to go to the Olympics I tell her that's a great goal to work towards, but it is such a long shot and only girls that are like (insert wunderkind here) are likely to have a chance... But keep working hard and she will be the best she can be and I will be proud of her no matter what level she is (or ever gets to).

Gymnastics is a great sport and I understand wanting the best training possible for your child... But don't forget to have fun with it and try to, as a parent, be realistic and know what the odds are. It's less about the (perceived or realistic) goal, more about the journey...

Pretty much all 8 year old gymnasts want to go to the Olympics. Shoot, I nurtured an Olympic dream until I was about 12. I also wanted to be a veterinarian and captain of the starship Enterprise. Kids want a lot of things! It is normal for the Olympics to be their first gymnastics related goal, and it is fine for kids to dream big, but I wouldn't make any long-term plans based on an 8 year old pre-teamer's Olympic goals. She needs at least a competition season or two before you can even begin to start thinking about elite, let along the Olympics.

In your OP you say something about how the current gym is preparing kids for scholarships, not elite -- well, are they successful at it? A gym that produces a decent amount of successful optionals will not hold an 8 year old pre-teamer back from an Olympic dream if it is meant to be. The local Y? Maybe not the best place for a kid who takes gymnastics pretty seriously, but a good solid gym that is simply not an Olympic gym? I really wouldn't worry about it. There's plenty of time for that after she has a season or two under her belt. At the more competitive gyms it is also very unlikely, given her age and level, she's going to be one of the pre-team phenoms -- those will be the 6 year old L4s who are going to skip 2 levels within the next year and a half. Those competitive gyms will have 7 year old L7s and 10 year old L9s and their elites will be all of 12. I wouldn't want my gymnast, just starting out, to get the idea that she's already too old or too far behind. She's not. Let her progress through compulsories in an environment that isn't so competitive, and if she shows that incredible aptitude, move her as an optional.

I would also caution you as parents against building up the Olympic dream too much. Being supportive and encouraging is one thing, but the Olympics, contrary to popular belief are not the end all be all of gymnastics. It might be that she's "just" a scholarship gymnast, and the reality is that most gymnasts aren't even that. Being a regular old gymnast who makes it to L8 or so is every bit as valid as being an Olympian. Ask me how I know. ;)

It sounds like the gym she is at is doing a great job of preparing her for her first competitive season. Regardless of future goals, that is the first step, so I really wouldn't be concerned with trying to switch gyms or figure out which gym will let gymnasts compete more than one level in a season until she has, at a minimum, competed L3 and L4.

I think if you focus too much on the 'Olympic dream' at this stage it will give a strange perspective on your dd's achievements. She needs to be able to focus on and celebrate realistic goals - such as gaining new skills and competing well at level 3 (or whatever they decide to compete her at). I also suspect that once she gets into competing you will find that the focus shifts far more onto the here and now and gives her enough goals and excitement.

Once she has had a chance to compete it will be easier to see where she might be heading. So unless the alternative gyms are able to deliver something now, which your current gym doesn't, or you have concerns about your current gym, then I can't see any reason to move her just yet.

When my dd started, the olympics was all she could talk about, but once she got into competing properly her goals became much more instant - her next competition, nailing her beam routine, getting the next skill, keeping up with the hours and her homework :)

It's possible...

Born in Boston, Massachusetts on December 3, 1987, Alicia Sacramone began taking gymnastics lessons when she was only 8 years old, and began competing at tournaments soon after. Joining the U.S. national team in 2003 brought Sacramone's gymnastics career to new heights; she won 12 medals at the U.S. National Championships from 2004-2008.

Sacramone competed at the U.S. National Championships from 2003 to 2011, winning gold eight times, as well as nine other medals. From 2005 to 2011, she competed at the World Championships, winning a total of ten medals, including four gold medals in the vault, floor and team competitions. For the 2005 World Championships, held in Melbourne, Australia, she competed as part of the American gymnastics team, along with such teammates as Chellsie Memmel and Nastia Liukin. Sacramone graduated from Winchester High School in Massachussets in 2006.

At age 20, Scaramone competed at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China -- alongside such teammates as Chellsie Memmel, Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson -- and brought home a silver medal for women's team gymnastics.

Try not too get caught up in the Olympics idea because many 8 year olds (including my own!) have the same dream. What's most important is that she is in a good program where she is happy, motivated and learning solid basics. My daughter was in a gym previously that put her in a fast track group but believe me it was not sunshine and rainbows! It is a lot of pressure and it can lead to injuries and burnout. I saw love and motivation diminish with this type of intensity for my child. I moved her to a gym that is much more balanced and allows the kids to interact with one another, have fun and also work hard too. Had I kept her in the old gym, she would've burned out anyway. Gymnastics is a tough sport and a long road. Much better for them to enjoy the process so they will stick with it for the long haul:).

Gymnastics is such a difficult journey. I almost cringe when I open a thread from a new parent posting about the possibility of their DD getting to the Olympics.

That was my older DD's goal, and I am ashamed to say, I told her when she was 11 that she was the "wrong age" and level. Not advanced enough at 11 for 2020, and too old for 2024. Sigh.

No matter what she does, the fact that she is one of the few kids on the planet that goes into the gym every day and "flies" on the bars, beam, vault, and floor brings a year to my eye and makes me so proud.
I think we lose sight of the fact that the kids accomplish amazing things, every day. Even the ones that aren't Olympians! And we should applaud them for it!

Now if all you with young gymnasts wanting to go to Oly would stop training, my girl would have a better chance! :) Really really kidding!

We meet with the 2nd gym today and so will get another gym's earful on their perspective of training paths and their impression of DD's skills. And then more to talk about!

We started this round of questioning/exploring because a former coach, friend of a friend, suggested we check out the more competitive gyms if DD is serious. The former coach felt DD might be better served at the other gyms; she has no stake in where my girl and money go :) But interestingly, she did say that the more aggressive coaching style at one of the gyms is not to her liking, though that can be a personal style choice.

DD really likes the leos at our current gym, why change that :) LOL.

I'm enjoying learning about the other gyms and about gymnastics. I also feel less like, "we're at the wrong gym," which is comforting to me. We'll see how DD feels after more exploration, she needs to be happy, too. So far she is enjoying the evaluation process. I just wish a had a better understanding of the sport to help her without all this extra work but I was just a monkey bar gymnast.

How'd it go tonight? I suppose it might depend on what coast you're on if the night is over yet :)

I would probably consider your friend's opinion, even if you wait a year. Things like conditioning and flexibility are pretty important, and not being pushed on them by 8 or 9 will likely limit her future options.

The coach today liked her and would offer her a spot... though adding her would put them over 8:1 so they will need to consider if they want to do that, I'll get a call from the director in a few days.

That said, my DD said she was worked really hard and really did not like one coach (of two). When I asked if she would like the gym better if both coaches were like the "nice one," then she didn't feel like she was worked too hard. So the hardness was somewhat due to the mental taxing when being trained by the not-as-soft coach. Both coaches were tough, just had very different manners of delivering any correction to the girls.

The coach who liked her for a spot on the team is the not-as-nice one.

So it's rather unlikely we would move there now, but it's reaffirming that they felt she fit into their "more rigorous" program. And DD noted that she would not be the top girl there right now, a good observation to make both in terms of dreams and current competitiveness with other girls who might be at her meets next year. More to think about.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back