Parents New Virginia Level 5 State Champion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you know the coaches did not congratulate her? Are you certain? I personally saw the female coach congratulating one of her teammates in another session.

I have been accused of not congratulating a gymnast before on winning. I did not enjoy the accusation. I congratulate my athletes on their effort, their attitudes, and on a routine done well. I never congratulate them on winning, why should I ?? They try, they get praise. They have a good attitude, they get praise. They perform well (for them), they get praise. Isn't scoring well and winning enough positive reinforcement?

If coaches praise scores and awards doesn't that degrade the athletes who try hard, perform well, and have a great attitude, but don't place/win?

How do you know the coaches did not congratulate her? Are you certain? I personally saw the female coach congratulating one of her teammates in another session.

I have been accused of not congratulating a gymnast before on winning. I did not enjoy the accusation. I congratulate my athletes on their effort, their attitudes, and on a routine done well. I never congratulate them on winning, why should I ?? They try, they get praise. They have a good attitude, they get praise. They perform well (for them), they get praise. Isn't scoring well and winning enough positive reinforcement?

If coaches praise scores and awards doesn't that degrade the athletes who try hard, perform well, and have a great attitude, but don't place/win?

I would never want a coach to praise a score or placement...ever....BUT saying good work today or nice vault....or something similar would be great. I wasn't talking about wanting placments or scores to be praised....just the effort and my daughter brought it up to me......it wasn't a personal observation!! I also believe that positive reinforcement of one gymnast is never exclusive to that gymnast...it creates a positive atmosphere for all the gymnasts. A coach who practices that as a habit...would never exclude one or more gymnasts. There is ALWAYS something nice to say to little girls that have worked all year.

I myself didn't praise her for winning...we talked about how all that hard work and effort paid off by getting over the vault, sparkling on floor, staying on the beam and a nice bar routine...the winning was extra...the cherry on top but for my daughter placement matters less than scores and little goals...like getting over that vault.

I also wasn't referring to both coaches....just to be clear. I also am a coach (of a different sport) but have learned that kids crave atta boys just like adults and there is always something to praise in every effort, even the ones that don't turn out so well. Praise helps balance all the times they hear what they've done wrong or need to improve. Well timed it can be a powerful tool.

I would never want a coach to praise a score or placement...ever....BUT saying good work today or nice vault....or something similar would be great.

I also wasn't referring to both coaches....just to be clear. I also am a coach (of a different sport) but have learned that kids crave atta boys just like adults and there is always something to praise in every effort, even the ones that don't turn out so well. Praise helps balance all the times they hear what they've done wrong or need to improve. Well timed it can be a powerful tool.

Agreed. Her efforts and great attitude deserve praise.
Sometimes when coaches work in pairs one is the tougher while the other is more nurturing. For some coach pairs this can be a dynamic that works for kids if they are getting access to both roles. And sometimes coaches may think they are praising the kids enough and they just don't know how the kids and parents feel. And sometimes the coaches ARE praising the kids but the communication between coach and athlete is unclear and the child isn't getting the message.

And sometimes it's just not the right coach for that athlete. I don't envy being in your shoes right now. Seems like a complicated situation with lots of factors at play.

CONGRATS!!!

IMO acknowledgement of effort and hard work and a great season is important for ALL the girls to hear from their coach- from the child who struggled to get a 28 AA to the Level 5 State Champ! I am sorry this was not the case for your talented little gymmie. When Phi Beta Kappa is acknowledged in college the students are celebrated by their advisor, staff, and community alike- why would gymnastics be any different?

She is amazing to watch!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back