Parents No biketards!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebusymama

Proud Parent
My DD 5 1/2 made pre team. She went to practice with a biketard (leo with the bike shorts attached all in one). Her coach told me she is not allowed to wear that. Just plain leotard. At the gym, rec and preschool classes can wear whatever... biketards, dance leo with skirts, shorts and tshirt. But pre team and team can not. I understand why they can't wear shorts and tshirt or a dance leo with a tutu, but what is the problem with biketards? Is this common?

I'm not sure but I know that the week of a competition that the girls cannot wear bar shorts over their leo to practice since they can't wear them in the competiton. Maybe for the same reason?

from past reading of coaches/parents here:
- harder to see leg/hip form
- harder for coach to hold the legs in spotting
- just doesn't look "professional"; team girls should "look" like gymnasts

from past reading of coaches/parents here:
- harder to see leg/hip form
- harder for coach to hold the legs in spotting
- just doesn't look "professional"; team girls should "look" like gymnasts

Thanks! I figured their was a logical reason for this. Just didn't know. Thanks for the info.:)

Our gym has the policy for the same reasons everyone else said, but our HC mentioned one other reason for him personally that made since to me. He wants the girls to be used to being in just a leo. His concern is that if they are used to practicing in shorts or biketards, when they compete modesty may be an issue. If they aren't used to being exposed like that he is afraid it will affect their performance.

plus biketards can make ur butt look funny, like you have a wedgie even when you don't because of the seam down the back.. i'm sure that's not why, ha, but boy i'm glad team girls don't wear them at our gym!

There are a couple little girls at our gym on pre-team who wear the biketards. But I think it's their dad's who insist. Not sure what dad's gonna do when they're on team, because they won't be allowed to wear them then.

My little one has worn them once or twice, but they bugged her so now they're wasting away in the drawer. They bugged me too, seeing her constantly tugging on them and adjusting was just annoying. Same reason she doesn't wear shorts...the few times she has they've ended up being brought to me because they "bother" her.

Our gym has the policy for the same reasons everyone else said, but our HC mentioned one other reason for him personally that made since to me. He wants the girls to be used to being in just a leo. His concern is that if they are used to practicing in shorts or biketards, when they compete modesty may be an issue. If they aren't used to being exposed like that he is afraid it will affect their performance.

Our team girls did not used to be allowed biketards or gym shorts. In the last few years they have laxed a bit and most of the optionals wear shorts at every practice. When it comes to meets they do have issues with not wanting to take the shorts off.

At our gym, they are allowed to wear biketards or leos with shorts over them.... but most girls, once they move up to team, decide that they aren't "cool". Happened to both of my DDs the day they each moved up to team... had to sell about 8 biketards because they were no longer being worn. I HATE the underwear showing look and so do the girls. They fixed that by either wearing high cut Hanes (that they no longer make the same way) :( or just going commando.

T is a good idea to make the girls go without shorts for about a week before a meet though... we had 2 girls who's first experiences in JUST a leotard was at their first meet. Neither was comfortable and both kept pulling down the sides between events and putting their warm ups back on after an event.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back