NOs, IOs, AOs ... what do they all mean?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was reading the "report" from our gym's recent meet, and I have NO IDEA what the different groups are. DD is on Jr Pre-team, so we don't go to meets yet. I think NO means Novice Optional? But what about the others (IO, AO?). How are they different from "regular" levels? Why is this all so confusing :confused: lol! Thanks.

I also see now that they also say "NPO", etc... so then what is the 'P' for?

well...IO=intermediate optionals? AO=advanced optionals? NPO??? have no clue.:)

OK, so in reading the captions on all the facebook pictures, lol, I *think* it's "prep"? So novice prep optional. What does that mean though (optional in general - it looks like it's a separate group than 'regular' levels, right? How do they fit in?

And crap, I know I haven't been on this board long, but I think I've been reading long enough to realize that if Dunno is stumped, then I must be screwed...

Are you in the US? I have never heard these labels before. They are not traditional prep-op labels. Maybe AAU?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bwhahahahahaha. lol. thanks to the both of you ^^^:)

Yes- NPO- (also called BP0 as in beginner) novice Prep-Op
IPO- Intermediate (between 5 and 6) some gyms compete athletes at IPO instead of 6 b/c they feel it better prepares the girls for level 7 than level 6 does. The girls then move to L7 after "scoring out" of JO level 6 often at the first meet of their season after IPO
APO- advanced

They are two different tracks- Prep-Optional and JO. They are not the same, and you can move from JO to Prep-Op but to move from Pre-Op to JO you have to compete and get move up scores. Prep-Op is more "recreational" the judging isn't as hard, skill requirements are different, etc. Currently there are no national standards for Prep-Op like there are for JO.

This is soon to change into a a nationwide system called X-Cel- which should bring more credibility to the program. Right now it's seen as a "lesser" program than JO. At least around here. In Prep-Op there are no compulsaries- you get your own floor routine and floor music, etc. his appeals to older girls especially- or girls who have been in a level for a long time and are just looking for something different. Especially BPO and IPO.

Prep-Op/X-Cel is seen as an alternative to JO to keep girls in the sport longer.

Here's an explanation that helps some- although this person's state calls Prep-op bronze, sliver, gold... etc. Which is another reason for making it a national system. Hope this helps.
A Brief Explanation of Levels in USA Gymnastics | Apex Technical Corner

Last edited:
wait...remember that prep op/excel ARE USAG. not an alternative to. they are simply easier/lower level optionals under levels 7-10.

Thanks Dunno- I meant JO not USAG... my bad. I am not 100% clear on any of this. Our gym has very few Prep-Ops and I am not too familiar with it. Corrected my mistakes.

Glad that all got cleared up. Only thing I knew NPO stood for was "nothing by mouth"...lol

Yes- NPO- (also called BP0 as in beginner) novice Prep-Op
IPO- Intermediate (between 5 and 6) some gyms compete athletes at IPO instead of 6 b/c they feel it better prepares the girls for level 7 than level 6 does. The girls then move to L7 after "scoring out" of JO level 6 often at the first meet of their season after IPO
APO- advanced

They are two different tracks- Prep-Optional and JO. They are not the same, and you can move from JO to Prep-Op but to move from Pre-Op to JO you have to compete and get move up scores. Prep-Op is more "recreational" the judging isn't as hard, skill requirements are different, etc. Currently there are no national standards for Prep-Op like there are for JO.

This is soon to change into a a nationwide system called X-Cel- which should bring more credibility to the program. Right now it's seen as a "lesser" program than JO. At least around here. In Prep-Op there are no compulsaries- you get your own floor routine and floor music, etc. his appeals to older girls especially- or girls who have been in a level for a long time and are just looking for something different. Especially BPO and IPO.

Prep-Op/X-Cel is seen as an alternative to JO to keep girls in the sport longer.

Here's an explanation that helps some- although this person's state calls Prep-op bronze, sliver, gold... etc. Which is another reason for making it a national system. Hope this helps.
A Brief Explanation of Levels in USA Gymnastics | Apex Technical Corner

Annnnnddd... my head just exploded. Thought I'd let you know. :mind-blowing:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back