Parents Not allowed to move to team...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Height plays a key role in gymnastics just as it does in basketball. Does that mean that there have not been 'short' basketball players? No, but the majority are tall just as the majority if gymnasts will be short. IMO, a coach's job for a 6 year old is to build a love and passion for the sport.

This whole subject has really angered me. I am do glad we go to a gym that is more interested in talent and athleticism than measurements. I understand traditionally gymnasts are smaller and that's fine. But to eliminate a gymnast due to her height or weight is disgusting. Our gym has our share of "typical gymnasts" and my dd competes very well against them. We send many girls over 5'2 on college scholarships. We've had taller girls on the national team. It's not height that is important, it's talent and work ethic.

This whole height argument bothers me. My dd is "tall" for a gymnast at 5'3. However, she is an awesome, beautiful gymnast. I hope the days of 16 year old 60 lb, 4'8 gymnasts are over. What about Nastia? Kyla? Svetlana? Ashanee?

Along with these lines as well.....my dd while never 'tall' for her age, was tall on her team/level ---UNTIL puberty hit. There were 3 other girls that she was with (same level) all within 11 months of each other. They trained together from age 8 til recently (age 14). She was the oldest, and always 2nd tallest. The only taller was just barely taller, the 2 shorter were significantly shorter (by several inches).

THEN puberty hit! All 3 of the other girls are several inches taller than dd now and still growing. DD is 14yrs old and is 5'1-1/2" (don't forget that extra 1/2" lol) and has not grown in the last 2yrs -since she started. Due to an injury, dd has had MRIs & Xrays of spine and b/c of that we've been told that they can tell that she is Done growing. Out of the 4 of them, dd is now the only one still in this sport. The last of the other 3 recently quit. They did not quit because they were too tall, they just moved on to Jr High sports.

SOooo, even though your dd may be tall at age 6, that is really no way to tell how tall she will end up at 14. Not even by looking at the parents (I'm 5'8").

We have a gym near us that kicks out their too tall gymnasts. This gym has went nowhere fast. Those gymnast they kick out? They come to us and get scholarships.

I think it's cazy to take a kid off the team for having grown too tall..... I think your post really illustrates that a child can go pretty far by doing the best she can to develop the gifts she has. I think that's the underlying message of my earlier post..... working to make the most out of what you have without regard to your physical traits while trying, as your dd has done, to bolster the areas that she feels she needs the most help in.

In my mind, she has taken a very realistic view of her setting and situation, and done what it takes to get what she wants out of her experience and hard work. That, for me, is what it's all about..... to go through the sport and come out on the "other side" feeling richer for the time spent in the gym.

Those who recognize their weaknesses and do something about it are true blessings.... to themselves, as no coach can deliver that in the same manner a determined child can.

Those who prefer to do nothing are fine with me as I believe the sport is a come as you are party, but at the same time I feel they need to know what they can expect from the choices they make when it comes time to decide how to navigate through the obstacles present for many kids in the sport.

I think that's the underlying message of my earlier post..... working to make the most out of what you have without regard to your physical traits while trying, as your dd has done, to bolster the areas that she feels she needs the most help in.

Those who recognize their weaknesses and do something about it are true blessings.... to themselves, as no coach can deliver that in the same manner a determined child can.

IWC - Just wanted so say I love your posts.

IWC - Just wanted so say I love your posts.

Thanks.....

I was worried my first post would be seen as an indictment of every child who doesn't fit the mold as defined by the majority of coaches. I felt it needed to be said because I agree with them that it's easier to teach a double back to a kid who's the physical ideal, but can and have gone further and discovered that a determined kid who's 5'4" and 112lbs can learn one too.

Both kids are exceptional in their own way, but one is more rewarding to work with than the other. Hmmmmm......... wonder which one that would be.

Ultimately the first step in the learning process is wanting to learn.... so much so these kids don't need to have a coach tell them what they need (physically) because they figure it out for themselves (and they all do figure it out) and act in a safe and responsible manner (we hope) to get that which they need. My job as a parent is to keep tabs on what my child is trying to do, and to take up a role that moderates and supports them.

My job as a coach is to act responsibly to keep these kids under control mentally and emotionally, and help them set and reach goals that are consistent with the entire spectrum of gifts they present to me..... desire, discipline, joy for the work and the sport it (the work) supports, and then the physical gifts.... whatever those may be.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. My dd had her evaluation on Tuesday, and the coach at that gym wants her to come in for 3 trial classes, to make sure she is placed correctly, and that daughter likes it there, as there will be an increase in hours.

The only issue with the trial classes, is that two of them are on her current gym days, so she is going to have to miss, without me telling them why. She has been sick and missed two practices this last week already. :/

Glad to hear things are progressing. My DD's teammates guessed when she was leaving the gym because of a couple missed practices. At that point we knew we were leaving for somewhere so it wasn't a big deal. Gyms get a little funny when they know you're looking so just try to make a clean break as soon as you can.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back