not overly warm and fuzzy here eh?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KieQ

Coach
Proud Parent
I posted that I was looking for an item here and was extremely grateful to the lovely member who alerted me to one for sale. When the vendor didn't reply, I did not make accusations or negative comments. I simply stated that I was still looking.

I'm not sure why I then recieved a hostile feeling reply from an admin who immediately locked the thread so that I could not even apologize or explain. I wasn't aware that asking for help on this board (from a community who might actually be able to provide it) was against the rules.

Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but I think there was a kinder way to deal with my error. A private message when the post was originally made over a week ago explaining the rules would have been helpful.

The the member who tried to help me find the item for my daughter, a heartfelt thank you for your effort. To the chalk bucket members I offended by asking if you had a leotard available, my apologies. To the admin who felt it necessary to take disiplinary actions by locking me out of the thread, I hope your day improves.

I don't have a problem with this board in general and think you're overreaching a bit, but since we can't reply on the other thread I'll post my opinion here.

The moderators can, of course, do whatever they want. In that sense, you basically have to get over it.

I'm also not sure why a post asking for help finding a product was locked, though. The post wasn't looking for members to buy or sell it to. We've had many other threads where people try to find a particular product. I doubt the thread was going to receive more replies, so locking it is kind of a moot point, but I think a simple reminder that the board doesn't facilitate buying and selling but members can post tips or advice would suffice. If there were parts that insinuated whether a member had one to sell, then those could be edited.

The rules about soliciting here are a bit confusing when a moderator posted a request for training funds for a personal friend recently. That puzzled me, because it definitely wouldn't have flown if anyone else did that. But again, the moderators can do whatever they want, so I'm not going to get worked up about it.

I think we have to give the mods (mod, usually) a little bit of leaway. It is a volunteer position to keep the board running smoothly. It is hard for us to know the history of the rules or why things are the way they are. But to address specifics...

I didn't think the post was hostile at all. Just a reminder that we don't buy/sell on here. I think asking where you can find something is fine, but asking if someone has something to sell is not....fine line, but it is there.

As for the training funds....the website was posted and that was it. There was no buying/selling, no3rd party. I am guessing from my experience on other boards, that sometime in the past, they had a scuffle where soemone didn't pay, or someone didn't ship, and CB was caught in the middle. The training website was not like that as CB was not sponsoring or a part of it at all. The person posting was not the person on the website...I think you can see what I mean.

Mods cannot do whatever they want, but they do enforce the rules we all agreed to when we joined. Some might not make sense, but they are the rules.

But,overall CB is a very helpful place and I hope you stick around and get to knwo everyone better!!

To complain publicly about wishing you had been told privately seems a little odd. Why didn't you contact me by PM if you felt I was unjust?

The rules are the rules, buying, selling and asking for help with sourcing items gets so messy here. We have had some real crazy things happen in the past with this kind of thing, so we just do not let it go on.

As to the post I made about the ex-gymnast/aerial skier, I think the previous poster put it best. There was no personal benefit at all, no CB benefit at all. Just a shout out for a CB'er who has gone on to new things. Sometimes these things get sent to me and I share them with the community.

Based on the fact that I try to deal with a ton of posts a day, I find it a bit challenging to PM every member that there are potential problems with, plus by posting directly on the thread others learn what does, and does not, work on the CB.

Sorry you are not feeling the love here, but it is a great place. I am Canadian too by the way, eh.

Sorry you feel that way. CB really is a warm fuzzy place full of people who know lots and people who are prepared to give up their time to give advice and support. Usually the only time that it gets a leeetle bit less warm and fuzzy is when someone asks whether they should get extra private lessons for their four year old future elite, or how big a home trampoline should you buy. That makes some people reaaaaaaally grumpy;)

To complain publicly about wishing you had been told privately seems a little odd. Why didn't you contact me by PM if you felt I was unjust?
Probably *Complained publicly* for the same reason you commented as you did. Quicker and more direct on a smart phone or tablet. Just a guess though. That and I'm still learning to navigate the site. :)

The rules are the rules, buying, selling and asking for help with sourcing items gets so messy here. We have had some real crazy things happen in the past with this kind of thing, so we just do not let it go on.
Now I know. Thank you.

Based on the fact that I try to deal with a ton of posts a day, I find it a bit challenging to PM every member that there are potential problems with, plus by posting directly on the thread others learn what does, and does not, work on the CB.
I think I took more issue with the closing of the thread before I had a chance to acknowledge your comments. Sort of a kin to hanging up on someone before they can reply. I have a nasty habit of enjoying the last word. :)

On a more positive note...My mother managed to get a hold of the vendor and My daughter is getting her favorite suit back (in a size that will fit for more then a week) for Christmas. Thanks again to @Kidsgym for helping me out. Today you are my Rockstar!

I definitely don't characterize this place as warm and fuzzy, but that's also not why I come here. I DO find the people here to be brutally honest, informative and ultimate very helpful. Hope you stick around!
Good qualities and a great perspective. Nice to *meet* you.

Any time .We are here to help each other and even though I feel like I didnt do enough I am glad at the end it worked out for you. And I personally think that it's ok to ask for help .

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1415337774.737245.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back