Parents Not seeking medical advice, just commiseration!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tumblequeensmom

Proud Parent
And personal experience anyone has had!

O.K... so.... after finally overcoming her back issues, DD has been working hard in the gym all summer... gaining new skills like crazy!!! And it's still 5 months til our first competition. Great, right?

Well... she went to a friend's house Monday night and they were bored, so started doing backtucks in the basement. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID "NO GYMNASTICS" AT HOME!?!?! She's a teenager and knows everything!

On her last BT, she lands it wrong and goes down. She called me to say she "thinks she broke her heel." We ran her to the Dr. yesterday and for an X-ray (still waiting for the phone call re: results). I've looked up the "calcaneus fractures" and the prognosis isn't very good. I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit since we don't have the results yet. I sure am hoping she just severely bruised her heel. She can't put any pressure on it at all, there's a small bruse on the inside of her heel.

My question for everyone is, has anyone dealt with this type of fracture? My own gut tells me that IF that's what it is, then she's doen w/gymnastics. She's 16 already and the recovery, etc. wouldn't be worth it, from what I'm reading on the internet.

I can commiserate with you...DD is recovering from a back injury her self right now. I can tell you that she also bruised her foot along the outside, not heel though..so alittle different. We also thought it was broken but wasn't. I hope it's not for your sake and hers!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!

no. she won't be done with gymnastics if she fractured her heel. the heel is like any other bone that breaks. the blood supply is poor to that area which might take a little longer. mary lou retton fractured hers. that's just 1 you know. no big deal.:)

No advice but sending good wishes your way. Hoping that the x-ray comes up with nothing.

How is your dd handling it? I hope that she is not too hard on herself for doing something "stupid". Glad to see dunno's post that even worst case scenario this would not end gymnastics for her.

NO FRACTURE!!! YAY!!!! A little frustrated tho... I STILL haven't heard back from her Doctor at all. I finally just called the imaging facility and asked if I could just come pick up a copy of the report. It's only 2 miles from my house, so I drove over there and back and now have the official results. It would be nice tho, for the Doctor to tell me what we need to do to treat her now!!! She cannot walk on the heel and it is still a bit swollen and a nice bruise is forming on the inside of her heel. Wonder how long this will take to heal.

Dunno, I had only said she would be "done" because of her age and goals. If she were younger it would have been a different story, but at this point, if she finishes out a successful L8 season, that would be great! She'll be a senior next year and isn't sure she wants to devote the time and hours to the sport in her senior year of high school.... who knows... she's so fickle anymore!

like i said, the blood supply to that area is insufficient compared to the rest of the anatomy. so, even a deep bone bruise might take awhile. 6-8 weeks is normal.

fickle is good. it means she is a well rounded young adult.:)

like i said, the blood supply to that area is insufficient compared to the rest of the anatomy. so, even a deep bone bruise might take awhile. 6-8 weeks is normal.

fickle is good. it means she is a well rounded young adult.:)

Oh man, I was hoping a week or two off and she'd be good to go!

Glad to hear that "fickle" means good, because she drives me crazy from one day to the next!!! I love her dearly tho!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back