Off Topic Not to beat a dead horse...early recruiting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kandkfunk

Proud Parent
Just wanted to share that the early recruiting phenomena, that has been the topic of many CB threads, is creeping into other sports (or maybe it's been in other sports, but keeps expanding). Just saw a 2019 baseball prospect (an 8th grader) verbally commit to Mississippi State University. He was recruited for big time hitting and catching, as an 8th grader! I can't even wrap my mind around this. We have a 2018 baseball player (a Freshman) and we are just starting to prepare for the recruiting process. I can't even imagine allowing him to commit at this point in his high school career and he is a pretty good player. He got the opportunity to play for his High School Varsity team during this last summer and fall season as an incoming Freshman. Early recruiting looks like a trend that is going to continue for gymnastics and other sports, but lets hope it remains relatively rare. Good luck parents and athletes!

I have said it before and I will say it again, a vebal committment before a student's junior year doesn't mean much and frankly isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Verbal is just that, verbal; until the offer is put in writing there is no formal agreement on either part. It doesn't matter what sport we are talking about. I encourage each of you with prospective college athletes to educate yourselves on the process and the confusing terminology. Start at the NCAA eligibility center and go from there.

It may not be worth much except that these coaches are on the record saying they welcome the commit and are really excited with the prospect. That kind of flies in the face of the more quiet recruitments we've heard about an gymnastics.

I am very familiar with the NCAA rules (by the way today is the opening of the early national letter of intent period for many sports - good luck to any athletes signing today) as we are helping a high school senior through the process right now.

It may not be worth much except that these coaches are on the record saying they welcome the commit and are really excited with the prospect. That kind of flies in the face of the more quiet recruitments we've heard about an gymnastics.

I am very familiar with the NCAA rules (by the way today is the opening of the early national letter of intent period for many sports - good luck to any athletes signing today) as we are helping a high school senior through the process right now.

What do you mean by "on the record"? I didn't think coaches were allowed to comment publicly on verbal recruits.

What do you mean by "on the record"? I didn't think coaches were allowed to comment publicly on verbal recruits.

You are right; and further, the college coach can't contact the athlete until the junior year. As I said, nothing is firm until ink is on paper.

College coaches cannot initiate contact until Junior year, but if the kid contacts them they can talk. The coach can also get in touch with high school and club coaches and pass on a message for the kid to contact them. There is discussion on other bulletin boards, dedicated to other sports, on how this works. Probably completely out of line with the intent or spirit of NCAA rules, but not technically "illegal".

I reread the article and the kid, his family and coaches describe the recruiting process for him. They are the ones that describe the MSU coach's reactions, so my bad for thinking the coaches had commented. The family (although admittedly biased) does describe the coaches as excited and they were invited by the coach to attend a football game and then return the following day to talk.

I am in no way advocating for or endorsing early recruitment. I just thought it was interesting that this baseball kid was getting press for his verbal commitment. Will he actually attend that school? Who knows. Will he continue to be watched by other coaches in case MSU falls through? Absolutely.

And like I have said elsewhere on CB, you can have all the athletic talent and verbal committments in the world; if the athlete doesn't meet the academic eligibility requirements of the NCAA and the school, there will be no admission let alone scholarship.

Early admission is growing a root of bitterness in my soul as I watch high schoolers getting ignored when recruiters come and only watch the 11-12-13 year olds. Hello??!! They haven't even hit puberty yet, nor set foot in a HS classroom.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back