WAG notification procedures

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
As an offshoot of the TOPs camp letter thread, I have some questions about the current procedure for notifying USAG and Safe Sport of allegations and how parents would know about pending and completed cases. I looked at the USAG and Safe Sport websites and there is not much information.

1. It appears that when a "covered adult" (USAG professional member) learns of allegations against another covered adult, he or she is obligated to report the incident to USAG and Safe Sport. Is this correct?

2. Does such a report automatically trigger procedures to put the alleged perpetrator on the USAG list of permanently banned members?

3. What is the standard for banning a professional member of USAG? Is a criminal conviction required? If criminal charges are not filed, or if the charges are resolved without a conviction, is it still possible that the member would be banned?

4. What are the requirements regarding notification of parents with whose children the alleged perpetrator has had contact? Who is responsible for the notification? When are parents to be notified--when the investigation is opened, or only if there is a finding against the alleged perpetrator?

5. Is there any way for parents or members of the public to find out about pending investigations by USAG and/or Safe Sp0rt?

As an offshoot of the TOPs camp letter thread, I have some questions about the current procedure for notifying USAG and Safe Sport of allegations and how parents would know about pending and completed cases. I looked at the USAG and Safe Sport websites and there is not much information.

1. It appears that when a "covered adult" (USAG professional member) learns of allegations against another covered adult, he or she is obligated to report the incident to USAG and Safe Sport. Is this correct?

2. Does such a report automatically trigger procedures to put the alleged perpetrator on the USAG list of permanently banned members?

3. What is the standard for banning a professional member of USAG? Is a criminal conviction required? If criminal charges are not filed, or if the charges are resolved without a conviction, is it still possible that the member would be banned?

4. What are the requirements regarding notification of parents with whose children the alleged perpetrator has had contact? Who is responsible for the notification? When are parents to be notified--when the investigation is opened, or only if there is a finding against the alleged perpetrator?

5. Is there any way for parents or members of the public to find out about pending investigations by USAG and/or Safe Sp0rt?

1. yes
2. no. ETA: unless it is a sexual abuse issue. but there is still due process.
3. a plea. a conviction. or in the cases of Boger and Peters, preponderance thereof.
4. not sure i understand the first question ending in a question mark. same with the 2nd. if your child is a victim you will be contacted by an investigator.
5. no. ETA: club owners are notified of pending complaints and investigations. same with a finding or determination. the club owner would be notified. but honestly, if it's sexual in nature that coach will have already been terminated long before the process just as it has always been. if it's an owner they're screwed.

in the Office, Toby is in charge of SafeSport and Mark Busby investigations, adjudications and determinations.

Last edited by a moderator:
4. not sure i understand the first question ending in a question mark. same with the 2nd. if your child is a victim you will be contacted by an investigator.

What if your child is not an alleged victim but the perpetrator coached your child?

there is an air of confidentiality in the notification. i don't think they've figured that out yet. it's a work in progress. if it's a club owner they're screwed. and daunting with many business implications and consequences.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back