Parents Ohio USAG wants to hold a Bump Up Meet to get ahead of the big Level Changes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thoughts on if you think this is cool or not for the State to do?

Ohio Committee to host Level 4-6 “Bump Upâ€￾ meet in May

The State Committee desires to host a “Bump Upâ€￾ meet in May.
The purpose of this meet is to give compulsory gymnasts the opportunity to try to qualify to the next level so that they will have more options under the new compulsory changes.
Here are some highlights:
Most likely in-house
Low-key environment
No individual or team awards
All levels from one team compete in same session

Every competitor will receive a TEAM OHIO gift.

For more information please contact Michelle Crane at:
[email protected] or 740-405-9200

Many gyms are going to do it anyway. I see no problem with a state board organizing it. I would think this is the only year they will do it, because of the changes in the levels and the gyms still have no firm hold on what the level requirements will be.

I know the coaches can't even get the new routines taught to them til June. My big question will be the cost of this. Is it going to cost as much as a regular meet OR are they going to offer it at a lower price since they aren't doing individual or team awards.

At our gym, there is only 1 girl that I would want to take advantage of this... she is a 2nd year Level 5 that could have competed Level 6 this year, but chose not to. Next year, she wants to compete for her high school (the first year they are having a high school team) and for our gym. Right now, her only option to do optional level routines is to compete Xcel. She has the skills to compete Gold easily and is a B on each event away from being able to compete Platinum... but she has all the SR for Platinum.

Since we are a YMCA gym, the coach might just move her up to new 6 and only have to petition our Zone, lol ... it will depend on the L6 SR.

It's probably safe to assume you're not paying for trophies, goody bags, etc. I know the local meet that's for this purpose is fairly cheap - $40/gymnast and no team fees.

I know the coaches can't even get the new routines taught to them til June. .
they won't need the new routines as they will be using the routines from this year to move up before the new levels go into place.

I hope that they do run a "bump-up" meet. My 7 year old competed at level 4 this meet season. She made the National Diamond TOPS team, was 1st place AA in 7 of 9 meets, 2nd AA in the others, low meet score this season was a 37.175, and was state champion in the fall and spring (38.500 AA). And all this is after being out of the gym for almost two months due to a broken arm suffered in a backyard mishap in August and the physical therapy to get the back range of motion in the arm. She (and 3 of the girls in her TOPS group) should have been competing at level 5 at least half the season in my opinion but my wife and I have decided that we will not interfere with what the coaches are doing.

Big thumbs up to this idea!

I hope that they do run a "bump-up" meet. My 7 year old competed at level 4 this meet season. She made the National Diamond TOPS team, was 1st place AA in 7 of 9 meets, 2nd AA in the others, low meet score this season was a 37.175, and was state champion in the fall and spring (38.500 AA). And all this is after being out of the gym for almost two months due to a broken arm suffered in a backyard mishap in August and the physical therapy to get the back range of motion in the arm. She (and 3 of the girls in her TOPS group) should have been competing at level 5 at least half the season in my opinion but my wife and I have decided that we will not interfere with what the coaches are doing.

Good strategy..... leave it up to the coaches who've accomplished so much with a 7yo kid...... thy obviously know what they're doing.

As far as bump up meets are concerned. They give the coaches an option, and that's usually a good thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back