Parents Older kids at lower levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3gymgirlsmom

Proud Parent
My 14 yr old dd is on level 4 ( originally level 5 until, it changed and made her a level 4 again) anyhow she was close to possibly moving up ( needed just her backwalkover on beam ,then she got hurt twice . Knees then in a boot so her summer was shot. Well she competed 1 meet just 2 events , literally got back that week before , got high 8s on both events she did . Last year she made state.
Last practice she came home all excited cause she worked on a level 5 skill and mastered it.

I really need help on ideas to help her esteem and "push" her to really work again ( I ise the word push lightly better wording I just am blank on

Is she having fun? If yes, don't worry about it. If no, find a way for it to be fun (Xcel?) or find a different activity.

If she is having fun and setting and working toward her own personal goals then GREAT! Xcel is a nice option where it exists, but much of the country doesn't have it - however, in our area/gym there are always a few older girls who start late and make gym a very positive experience for themselves. AND some older ones who started young but hit fears, etc and have to make JO work for them (with great coaches) at their own pace. As a sport, though its very time consuming, so the fun and feelings of personal progress are what is key. The only "pushing" to do is to encourage her to do her best and be a good role model for the "littles" as DD calls them!

I have an older gymmie too. When she gets discouraged by things in gym she finds it encouraging to talk about how far she has come and also to make short term goals. Her goals are sometimes broken down as short term as by the practice. She also has a little note tucked away with her five goals for the whole season, and she likes to see how she is working toward them, even in baby steps. Sometimes I noticed she was comparing herself to another girl at gym who was a level higher than she, and I pointed out that although the girl was a lovely gymnast, with harder skills, she had been doing gymnastics for 9 years to my daughter's 1 year. I then asked what skills she thought she might have in just a couple more years, and it really put it all in perspective for her. I hope your DD continues to find the joy in the sport.

At our most recent meet, there were 9 L4 ages 14 and over... and that included 2 15 yo, 2 16 yo, and a 17 yo... I tell you this so you know that her being L4 at 14 yo is fine. As long as she is having fun, there is no need to "PUSH" her to do anymore than she is. If she wants it, she will find the internal motivation to go for it. Just be the encouraging mother that you have been to this point :)

It's just so hard seeing her struggle since she is such a hard worker and I really want to see her get the next step since she LOVES gymnastics. And she deserves it all

I have a 12 year old L4. Younger than yours, but, the oldest on our team. She has moments when she feels "old".
One thing she likes is going to open gym. She's able to work on some L5 skills on the beam, without a coach staring at her, etc. And the girls on her team that are there at that time are usually the encouraging ones. So she feels like she "CAN" do it.
She doesn't always want to go, but the times that she does, and can show me her bwo on beam when I pick her up, she's smiling from ear to ear.

Not sure if you're looking for something like that?

I bring open gyms up, but she is still nervous due to being injured so long plus I admit our open gyms are full of little kids from classes that just do of have the knowledge as easy about getting in the way and that makes he more nervous, she has tried in the past so she could take her 6 yr old sister but being only an hour and the worry of hurting someone while in the morning dele of a skill it's too much, she has gone to a teen open gym with her friends but she hates that gyms beam and that is the main skill she need working on

And I remind her all the time how far she has come and show she already showed the one gym that said she would never do good , how amazing she is :) I am so proud of her just want to be the mom that helps her get her goals in a way I can

If she is having fun, is happy and staying in shape, and out of trouble, what more can you ask for?
I find the older girls who have persevered are a HUGE positive example for ALL the younger team girls.
We have a 16 YO girl who is working toward L6. The coaches have not spent a great deal of time dealing with her (she gets her fair share), but this girl is totally un phased and she just gives it her all when she is at practice. She has some great skills of floor and beam. Bars not so much.....
BUT she has more HEART than anyone there and ALL the girls respect her a great deal.
This may be the most valuable thing this girl has learned and I suspect your DD falls into this category. Stress to her the value of being a role model and never giving up. that will truly last a lifetime.

You know - it sounds like she is doing great! She just came back from two injuries spanning several months and was able to compete after a week back in the gym and got high 8's (out here high 8's are respectable). That there is cause for celebration! My guess is that you are already doing a wonderful job supporting her. You mentioned as an afterthought that she has two DD's who also compete. When I read that I made the mental note that you did not mention that in your OP. Sure it's relevant info because this could easily be source of frustration but I loved how the original focus was entirely on your DD. I think you get that this is her journey and are able to celebrate her achievements aside from her sisters.

With that said though, I get it because my DD is the oldest on her team and she sometimes gets bummed. Some of the things in my arsenal are what many of the others have already suggested. She has goals - both immediate short term and longer term. Emphasize that everyone has a different journey in the sport (it took her awhile to see this one because for the longest time her younger teammates seemed to acquire skills with more ease). Remind her that the younger girls truly do look up to her. Mostly though I embrace her passion for the sport. The fact that she will never reach L10 doesn't make her less of a gymnast. She loves the sport and talks about how she can still participate when she is all grown up - coaching or judging.

Yes since 7 , younger dd was almost 6 ( they have been in team 8 years yesterday) she was preteam for a few years due to the bhs ( she had a rough time getting that , then we actually thought she had a concussion because of 1 bad one, ( not true but later in life she did get one and not because of gymnastics, so she has had a few set backs and proven what a rockstar she is ) she does not get skills as easy as my 12 yr old but when she gets them they are amazing and beautiful ( I keep reminding her this and I remind my 12 yr old she gets skills easy but has issues with form , making sure they know they both have there strengths and weekness that make them diff gymnasts , just at cause they are sisters does not make them the same)

I just want to say how much I appreciate this thread. I too have an "older" gymnast--a 12 year old level 4. She started late (rec. about 8.5, preteam about 9 if I remember correctly). She loves gymnastics and is a very hard worker. But she feels tremendous anxiety because of her age. She worries often that she will be "forced" into excel (which, at her gym, is very much less serious). She has her gym strengths and weaknesses like so many others, but to her it feels urgent to get skills. She is not a phenom. If she were younger she wouldn't mind probably doing 2 years at a level, but because of her age she feels like that would be a huge shame that must be avoided at all costs. She knows she will not be a college athlete or Olympian, but she has a lot of pride.

I wish she didn't put so much pressure on herself. She is in amazing shape and I think gym has been a very good force in her life. As so many other parents have noted here, she has amazing focus and work ethic in every area of her life. I attribute that, in large part, to gym. I just wish it didn't come with anxiety and pressure.

And she competed 4 and 5 at the old usag level then was a 4 gain due to usag

I have even confused about this awhile, being new to all this, so maybe you can help- if she competed old L4 & L5, doesn't that mean she scored into old L6? Would she have then been an L5 again rather than a L4? It's all so confusing! As for your DD, her "sticktoitiveness" as DDs old coach would say, is nothing short of amazing. She must be an amazing girl as most kids would have quit already. She must really love it.

Wow, my dd is a 12 yo level 4. This will be her 5th year doing gymnastics. She still loves it!!! She is tall and was passed over at the first gym for team because of this, otherwise, no telling where she might be today. Second gym, coach was only a lower level coach and was not capable of teaching or pushing her more. Now, we are at a new gym. It doesn't bother her that she is older, she still says that she wants to stick with it until college or after

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back