Coaches older L4 can not finish kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom&Coach

Coach
Proud Parent
I am having a issue with a older L4 gymnast (13 years old, about my same size) not being able to finish her kip. I have worked every drill under the sun with her for a long time! She is SO dang close but she just cant get on top of the bar! Any new drills or tips, PLEASE! I would HATE to scratch her from bars this season!

Well that's a tough one since you've already worked every drill under the sun. ;)
For more drills, I think there are about 100 threads on kipping drills on CB, just keep searching you will surely come across something you haven't tried yet.

Any idea where the problem comes from? Sounds like a wrist shifting issue to me but how about you record her and watch it in slow motion? That often reveals a ton of tiny mistakes.

Furthermore I recently found that great video on youtube about kipping drills, I'll post it as soon as I find it.

One that I like to use when kids are JUST THAT CLOSE are single leg jams.

ideally she'll get to the point where she can do it with a straight leg and not hook her knee. A lot of the time after a few days of those they get the feeling of getting their shoulders over the bar.

Hope that helps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back