WAG Once a Walk-On Always A Walk-On?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stormy

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Anyone ever see any stats related to how many NCAA Division I walk-ons actually end up getting scholarships? Is the chance of a walk-on getting a scholarship pretty rare?

It's very rare now with the new rules. One of our walk ons ended up with a full ride for senior year.

sorry to be dense, but what new rules are you referring to?

I'm not really sure how it works...but we had a couple of college coaches telling us that scholarships could no longer be taken away due to lack of performance by the athlete. So if there is a lazy athlete that doesn't deserve the scholarship...it cannot be taken away unless they break a school rule.

Can anyone help out on how this works? I have no clue...just know that two college coaches were telling us this.

That is it in a nutshell, JBS....the scholarships are for 4 years now so there's no more threatening of scholarships to free up spots if a college coach has buyer's remorse with an athlete in their first year, or whenever( and has done nothing wrong except not be the shiny new athlete the coach has their eye on...). It also will hopefully result in schools seeing their athletes as 4 year investments , instead of a 1 year show, and have them rehabbing athletes versus trying to force them out.

I think this new rule does protect the athlete and it's definitely something they need because most of the rules in NCAA in general, favor the schools. Will there be a "lazy athlete" that continues with a scholarship ? Probably....but I can tell you there are hundreds of hard working, deserving athletes that need that protection as well.

That is it in a nutshell, JBS....the scholarships are for 4 years now so there's no more threatening of scholarships to free up spots if a college coach has buyer's remorse with an athlete in their first year, or whenever( and has done nothing wrong except not be the shiny new athlete the coach has their eye on...). It also will hopefully result in schools seeing their athletes as 4 year investments , instead of a 1 year show, and have them rehabbing athletes versus trying to force them out.

I think this new rule does protect the athlete and it's definitely something they need because most of the rules in NCAA in general, favor the schools. Will there be a "lazy athlete" that continues with a scholarship ? Probably....but I can tell you there are hundreds of hard working, deserving athletes that need that protection as well.
Glad to hear something is finally being done to protect the kids. I didn't know that rule had gone into effect already. Does it apply to both D1 and D2 and all conferences (Big 10, Big 12, Mac, EAGL, etc)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back