Opinions on teammates spotting each other.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My team is rather small and we have a variety of skill levels. I am one of the tallest/strongest and am often asked by two of my coaches to spot balkwalkovers on beam, kips on bars, fronthandsprings on vault, and other things for the smaller girls. On Friday I was spotting a teammate on backwalkovers on beam (she's not the smallest but basically has it by herself) and our third coach (which normally isn't there) told me not to spot her anymore for no apparent reason. The third coach is new, and my teammate felt safer with me then the coach, because she says I was spotting heavier than he was. I was wondering what is everybodys opinions about teammates spotting each other.

Well from a coaching standpoint, I firmly believe this is a bad idea. Only because of the fact that gymnasts are trained to well.....train, not to spot. Us coaches are trained and paid to spot and teach, right? YSure, go ahead and hold a teammate up in handstand, or give her a boost up to the highbar, but skills like backward skills on beam, I'd be wary on that one. I d have my little ones help boost eachother up to bar, that's about it. Just advise your teammate to ask the third coach for a heavier spot next time, to avoid any falls, mishaps, etc.

i would say to not spot her because if she was to be hurt the blame would be on the coach. :)

I have to agree...from a coach's standpoint...BAD IDEA!! Anything could go wrong and both of you could end up hurt!

From a legal view---absolutely NOT. From a parent view, I'm paying the coach to spot. They shouldn't be relying on a gymnast to do their job.

Today's gymnast is tomorrow's coach, as as long as it is thought out and supervised I think it might be a reasonable thing. I know some programs in my area start having pre-teens / young teens junior coach some classes (for free I assume given the labor laws) and I think that is a valuable experience. OBVIOUSLY the skills they are spotting need to be well thought out. There's got to be a balance.

I could totally understand if she were a Jr. coach and she was trained, supervised and this was a class she was actually helping teach but not when she is actually taking the class! Her folks are paying good money for her gymnastics instruction not for her to spot other girls and risk injury or herself and them.

If you have been trained to coach and spot skills and happen to be on the team then thats fine. However if this is during your practice time and they just dont have enough coaches, or are doing something else instead then no its not ok! Just because a coach is new doesnt mean they dont know what they are doing. The girls on your team will have to learn how to trust the new coach, not rely on you. You should be practicing your own skills.

On my high school team we used to spot eachother all the time, it was normal for high school team. However one girl who had no idea what she was doing dropped me on my head doing a backhandspring on low beam. Luckily I was on a low beam but my hand slipped off and she didnt spot me correctly so she didnt stop my head from hitting the beam and me going down to the ground.

Not a good idea if you are not trained to spot the skills they are asking you to spot. You could be putting yourself or the gymnast you are spotting in danger. It's also not ethical to ask you to do this while you are paying to be coached. It's not your job.
There is a 9 year old level 6 at the gym where I coach who loves to help coach the class kids, the other coaches are totally cool with it but I just cringe when I see it happening.

From a legal view---absolutely NOT. From a parent view, I'm paying the coach to spot. They shouldn't be relying on a gymnast to do their job.

Absolutely agree! This used to irritate me to no end a few years ago when they would get DD to spot the little ones!!! As others have said, (1) I'm paying for HER to be spotted/taught skills; and (2) I didn't want her to be liable if someone she was spotting got injured.... bad idea. Now... if a gym wanted to TEACH her how to spot skills correctly, and get her gymcert, AND have her work when it's not on my dime... that would be great!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back