WAG "Opt out" of on-line scoring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjunkie

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
A parent asked me if it was possible for her daughter to opt out of "meet scores on-line" and/or "my meet scores." I have no idea. Does anyone know?

I don't know. I do know when you sign the USAG Membership form there is some sort of publicity release. If a meet is USAG sanctioned, you might have given up the right to keep it out of the public view. I'm not sure though.

gymjunkie -

I would want to know what the parent that brought this up is wanting to protect? The concept of "opting out" of either of those two online score repositories seems odd to me. Frankly, I don't know how one would go about doing that. Consider how these sites, for the most part, get their scores - meet directors submitting meet results either to them or some other place (state web site is a common source for MyMeetScores). Would this parent want a meet director to edit the meet results to not show her daughter? This would be a very difficult and time consuming effort. I think the parent needs to think about what it actually is that they are trying to protect from.

They may prefer a higher level of Internet privacy or perhaps they are trying to avoid publishing the whereabouts of a child for safety reasons i.e. Non custodial parents being able to locate. Not sure if it's possible or not but there might be very valid reasons to do so.

I don't think that is possible. There isn't even a way to contact mymeetscores directly, as far as I can tell. All they do is aggregate results from different sources, usually from wherever each meet publishes it's results. Many of the meets now use live-scoring with meetintegrity, or meetscoresonline or a similar platform for meet scoring, and the results are electronic and automatic. So, if they are entered into the scoring system to flash on the score display at the meet, they would immediately go live. I can't see a way around that. Even if you could do that, most meets post a link to results on their meet website, which anyone could then submit to mymeetscores to add. Again, though, that is a "one way" communication - they only have a place to add a link to scores, there is no place to remove scores. I have read here that many people have tried in the past to have scores corrected, with zero success in contacting anyone.

perhaps they are trying to avoid publishing the whereabouts of a child for safety reasons i.e. Non custodial parents being able to locate. Not sure if it's possible or not but there might be very valid reasons to do so.
In this case, i would use a nickname or something in USAG registration and on team rosters, etc.
Contact USAG member services about a name change for the gymnast. I know someone who gets mail in three different last names, so she could even keep her first name and use mothers maiden last name or or grandma's maiden last name or even use her middle name as a last name.

Now, if it is just because the parent is embarrassed about the scores - tough luck.

Thanks for the ideas & thoughts. The gymnast is a very talented L10 who took a break to work with a psychologist for extreme perfectionism and an eating disorder. The psychologist suggested it to the parent because the kid feels additional pressure coming from on-line posting of scores.

A parent asked me if it was possible for her daughter to opt out of "meet scores on-line" and/or "my meet scores." I have no idea. Does anyone know?
= thats a flip, I usually have parents bugging me to change the spelling of a name or something on MSO. lol.

There are some girls listed as "unkown, unknown" on mymeetscores or as xxxxx,xxxxx on meet scores online.(I have no idea how they accomplished this) But I don't think that would help with the perfectionism thing, as all the scores are still posted.

Thanks for the ideas & thoughts. The gymnast is a very talented L10 who took a break to work with a psychologist for extreme perfectionism and an eating disorder. The psychologist suggested it to the parent because the kid feels additional pressure coming from on-line posting of scores.

I would get USAG to change her name to her middle name and grandparent surname or something. However the rest of the team will know it is her scores. So would that help? Her only way to avoid it all together would be to compete as a guest and not be scored i would think. Maybe that is an option for a few meets until she feels more ready.

I think it's odd that she would be ready to compete but not to be scored.

You can compete under a different name for privacy from outsiders; contact USAG. But I think the psychologist must not understand gymnastics meets.

I think it's odd that she would be ready to compete but not to be scored.

You can compete under a different name for privacy from outsiders; contact USAG. But I think the psychologist must not understand gymnastics meets.

I think the issue is not being scored, but the ability for someone else to look up the perfectionists less then perfect score and see her as imperfect.

She is in tough sport for a perfectionist personality with those kind of issues.

It doesn't sound like she is ready to compete.

That was my thought too...if having her score posted like it always has been in the past is an issue, then I would worry what even a witnessed fall at a meet would do to her ( if I'm her parent). I might let her train in the gym but competing at this stage in her recovery would be out of the equation....and especially if she's level 10, it'll be totally obvious if she doesn't make regionals or JOs...the risk to her long term health isn't worth it

I'm going to go ahead and respond because I had a daughter who was a level 10 who was anorexic and a perfectionist and ultimately had to quit the sport she loved because of it all. I have a Masters in Counseling with a certification in eating disorders (and yes, it happened to my daughter) and I do understand where the counselor is coming from regarding getting the scores offline. However, that is putting a small bandaid on a gaping wound. Unfortunately, until the patient become healthy again and can handle all of the obstacles that will be thrown at her in the world and especially in this sport (being judged, body image, perfectionism, etc.) there is a lot more to look at besides the online scoring. We had to look at whether this sport was overall helping or hurting her mental health. You can only try to remove the outside obstacles for so long before realizing it is the inside that really needs to be fixed for their longterm wellbeing!

She is not ready to compete at all. The parent was just keeping us informed and letting us know what things have been discussed. For those of us who remember what it was like before on-line scoring... it was better. This is not a sport where we need to add pressure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back