Optional Scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MeetDirector

Proud Parent
Hello Everyone -

Being new to the optional world (dd is a new L7), I have come to realize that the scoring process is befuddling.

I pretty much have the deduction thing down from our time in compulsories, but this start value is making my head hurt. I understand that they have specific requirements on an event and that if they include all of them the start value is a 10. Once the judges figure out the start value of the routine, then they start deducting the errors, right?

However, it seems like a gymnast gets hit twice for an error. For example, in L7 BB there is a requirement for an acro series; if they fall in the middle of the series or wobble in the middle of the series, they don't get credit for the series and also get deducted for the fall. If they get back up and re-do the series, they might not get credit for the series because they will have done too many of a particular skill.

Am I missing something here? Is there a simpler way to explain/understand this? Thanks in advance.

What you stated is correct. The third skill doesn't count. This is mostly a beam issue in L7 (due to repeating the series). Where it gets slightly confusing is that the same element in a different "shape" is not the same. Example, gymnast does a series of a backhandspring step out, back handspring step out in L8. For her dismount she does a back handspring landing with two feet into her back tuck/layout. All three count because one landed with two feet.

There is also an issue of how a skill "enters/exits" in order to be a different element. The second back handspring step out entered differently because it came from a back handspring, rather than from standing. If the second skill doesn't enter or exit differently it won't be given a value part. If the skill before it doesn't get a value part (example: gymnast does BWO, doesn't connect...she then does handstand BWO...if she holds the handstand for two seconds, and successfully connects, she gets credit for the series. If she doesn't hold the HS, it doesn't get a value part, and the second BWO won't count.)

Also, form deduction could be taken on the skills don't count.

I'm not a judge...perhaps a judge can summarize it more neatly.

In Level 7 there are four main things the judges are looking for:
1. Special Requirements (SR) - Each SR is worth .5 and there are FOUR on each event (except vault). So, if a gymnast does not complete a SR, whether she intentially does not do it or does the SR but does not get credit for it (layout on floor considered a pike or a whip back, non-connection on series on beam, clear hip not above horizontal on bars to fullfil the B circle requirement, etc., etc.) she will lose .5 from her Start Value (SV). To your point of "double deducting". A fall in gymnastics is an automatic .5 regardless of what the gymnast was doing when she fell. But, if that fall happens to result in a SR being missed, then the gymnast will receive the EXECUTION deduction for the fall and then the .5 off her SV for missing a SR. Two totally separte deductions, though they happen to be resulting from the same element.

2. Value Parts - On each event (except Vault) the L7 gymnast is required to do 5 elements worth an A value (.1) and 2 elements worth a B value (.3). So, if a gymnast only performs one B in her routine (or only gets credit for one of the B skills attempted) she will lose .3 from her SV. You can only receive credit for a Value Part for the same skill TWICE, but that skill must be performed different the second time. So, for example, a split jump on beam is a B. If a gymnast does a split jump and then later in the routine does a straight jump connected to a split jump she will have performed two B elements. However, if she just does two isolated split jumps only the first will receive B credit. I could give a million examples with different skills...but the bottom line is if the skill is done a third time the judges basically pretend they didn't see it...except we still see the bent legs and feet! Now, to be confusing, if one of the first two times the skill was performed it wasn't completed and a value was not given, then the third time is still eligible for credit...but we rarely see this.

3. Execution - How well were the skills performed. Just like compulsories, but some of the deductions are slightly different in terms of how much we can take off for different errors.

4. Rhythm, Artistry & Dynamics - These are overall deductions and hopefully they speak for themselves.

At Level 8 and above we add an additional section called "Composition" which are deductions that are associated with what elements were actually in the routine. So, was the routine hard enough? Did she go forward and backward? Did she use enough of the apparatus? Did she have too many dance shapes the same? Etc.

Optional judging can be confusing at first, but hopefully this helps.

GymPanda -

Thanks much - you have clarified things.

So to be specific, her beam has a cartwheel-cartwheel series; she wobbles or falls in between the two cartwheels. If she falls, she gets a .5 deduction for the execution. She gets back up and re-does the series and hits it. But because it is the second and third cartwheel, the third one doesn't count. She therefore doesn't get credit for the series in her start value. If she hits everything else, her start value would be a 9.5. With the initial fall added in, she would be at a 9.0 before getting very far into her routine. Is that about right?

Yup...that is about right. The only way that isn't accurate would be if she didn't get EITHER of her feet on the beam for her FIRST cartwheel. So, if she totally blows it and goes totally sideways the cartwheel won't count for anything. So, then it will be like she didn't even do it (except the fall) and if she connected the series when she retries she will get credit for the series.

I tell the kids I coach that if they have a major wobble during their acro series between the two skills that they should just leave out the second skill. So, if they cartwheel HUGE wobble there is no point in doing the second cartwheel because they won't get credit for the series anyway and why risk the execution deductions. NOW - we practice this during practice, so it is a coaching choice...not something that should just be thrown at a kid right before a meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back