Parents Osgood-Schlatters Pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
My daughter was diagnosed with Osgoods about a year ago. Other than the initial flare-up, she hasn't had much trouble.

Yesterday she complained of her knee hurting during tumbling. When she woke up this morning her knee was tight and stiff and she could barely walk. She says it keeps popping and she's afraid it's going to "go" while she's doing a skill. She seems to walk okay once she is warm.

Her state meet (L3) is Saturday. Because of a variety of circumstances, I'm not
Sure I can get her in to the doctor before Saturday. Does this sound like a flare up of Osgoods, or should I have her scratch if I can't get to the doctor? The instability she describes makes me feel uneasy.

My daughter has and is struggling with knee issues. If you can get her in, I'd do that. Believe me, you don't want to create a bigger problem.

Popping = see a doctor in my opinion. Find a way to get to a orthopedic dr as soon as possible. In lots of cities they have walk-in clinics.

don't be concerned about the level 3 gymnastics part. but certainly she'll need to be seen. it may be something else. :)

My DD has had a few flare ups with it. We have an amazing sports chiropractor who has really helped her. Get her seen in case it is something more and good luck!

My daughter had Osgoods also. What you are describing does not sound like Osgoods to me. Osgood Schlatters is microtears and inflammation of the attachment of the quadriceps to the tibia, the lower leg bone. It is not inside the knee joint. In Osgoods, there is no pathology in the joint itself, ie, the joint where the femur and tibia meet. The only instability that can occur in Osgood Schlatters is as a result of atrophy of the quadriceps muscle, but that is not associated with an acute flare up like you describe, it's more gradual and chronic. If it were my kid, I'd be worried that it might be something different this time. No way to tell for sure without examining her, but it sure doesn't sound like Osgoods to me. I hope it's nothing major and she bounces back quickly. But definitely get it checked!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back