Parents overlooked rec gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't think gyms (at least ours), put a huge stock in the parents size, but I'm guessing my little one might end up somewhat vertically challenged. I'm maybe 5"4, dad is 5'6", and that's generous, and I'm taller then both of his parents. My mom is around my height, my dad is the only taller one in the bunch. DD is under the 3% for height and weight. My niece has already gotten taller then me at 14, the snot. ;-) But, our families stature, or lack thereof, had nothing to do with her getting on pre-team.

Well at the risk of belaboring this point to oblivion..... I thought about our Olympic team and also looked at the optional level parents waiting to pick up their kids last night, and I see no statistical correlation whatsoever between weight and "fitness" level of the parent (and therefore an assumed level of nutritional awareness in the household) and the talent level of their offspring in gymnastics (who may or may not be biologically related). And I mean NO correlation....from what I could see. Gee I could also argue that the more "curvy" ones there are more devoted to their kids' well being and spending money on kids sports and driving their kids instead of spending all their time on themselves and all their money on expensive fitness club membership. That last sentence was not meant seriously, but you get the point. Looking at parents and drawing conclusions about how talented their kids are going to be in gymnastics requires a heavy dose of cowpie.

I don't believe our club does this, but it is unfortunate that some clubs look at the parents’ body composition as a way to rule out a child. My husband and I are tall and both overweight. While our daughter has the same hair color and skin tone as me, she has a small solid body. We’ve been told that she looks like a gymnast. We also adopted our daughter as an infant. While our story of how we became a family is a story we often share, sharing this with her coach isn’t easy as most communication occurs quickly in a crowed area between classes. However, my daughter was just moved off the preteam and back into a rec class (I think because of coachability). She's 6 and was diagnosed with ADHD. It's been a tough year for her at school and at the gym. The one positive about going back to a rec class is that she is rediscovering her love for gymnastics as there is not so much pressure and gymnastics is fun again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back