Overthinking/Frustration

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you have read most of my posts, you know that I have been having a couple of skills come and go lately. Mainly my shoot through and BHS. Well, now they are back and I really think they are back to stay this time. I just have a feeling things are starting to get better. My BHS is back and better than ever. The only problem is that I don't dare connect it to a BHS. It's so weird because when I first got my BHS, about a year ago, I was so happy that I just went for a ROBHS on that same day and it was awesome. Well, now I just can't get myself to go. My BHS has been back for two weeks but I just don't dare connect it. I have had spot on ROBHS's and then my coach tells me to go for it by myself because I have it. My teammates and my parents are really encouraging me to do it too. But every time I get ready to do it all these bad thoughts come into my head and I think way too hard about what I am doing, and I freak out too much. I am sure I can do it, because there are girls on my team that can't even do a standing BHS that are doing ROBHS's with no problem. I have a super strong standing one but it's just in my head that's stopping me. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to stop overthinking??

I had this same problem when I learned my BHS. For me it was the feeling of being more in control...my round-offs weren't very good and I didn't have much control. One thing that helped me was to focus on my rhythm instead of the skill itself. I would think "hands, feet, hands, feet," instead of "gotta throw my handspring, ahh!" Good luck.

If your coach has no specific form criticism and is telling you to go for it, you're probably ok to do so. The bad things that get in our heads often have no bearing. I wouldn't try to force yourself into throwing the skill, just acknowledge your negative thoughts when you have them by choosing to remember all the reasons you're actually ok to do it. You'll get it back in time, try not to dwell on it so it doesn't become a huge mental block. It's very common to 'lose' a skill and get it back, you'll come out of this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back