WAG Pain below the big toe.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
So I was reading up on sesamoiditis as a friend's daughter battled a pretty stubborn case a few years ago......now I'm worried.
DD told me today, while walking with shoes that the ball of her foot hurt. She pin pointed it right on the lower edge of that pad below the big toe. She said it's been aching on and off for a few weeks but really noticed of Friday because she ran at a school fundraiser and then went to gym.

She's almost 11, one foot hurts more than the other......it is not debilitating or anything, it's just bugging for now. I'm thinking ice for sure, limit vault, and ibuprofen if it really hurts......if it gets bad, for sure doctor.....
Any advice?

So, I walked around for 3 years with this kind of pain in my foot. I thought because of the location it couldn't be anything. Turns out I had a broken sesamoid bone. I was in a boot for almost 5 months. It is healed now. I am not sure I would wait too long. It wasn't debilitating for me either..I was hiking, climbing, skiing, playing tennis, etc.

I'd get it checked out now (by an orthopedic/sports med/podiatrist, not a pediatrician). If it's just inflammation, there is a way to treat it and tape it with felt padding. If it's a broken sesamoid and you ignore it, surgery comes next.

Your plan is exactly what I would do, but as it's been around for a while and seems to have got worse with the running and gym on Friday, I'd definitely be getting it looked at. Any fractures in the foot or ankle can get very complicated if not identified and stabilised early, and that means more time off in the long run.

Can you ask the coach's advice? I tend to go hard though and seek a medical opinion early. And if you have to, I'd push for an x-ray so that they don't just dismiss is at a strain - I've found that the high pain threshold of gymnasts tends to lead doctors to feel that an x-ray isn't necessary at first. Both times my gut feeling has been there was a fracture, there turned out to be one when the doctors though it was just soft tissue damage.

Thanks! That's my worry......sesamoid problems can become debilitating.........
I think I'll do a lot of ice, and limit running for this week......she says it only bothers for running, not floor......I guess floor is more padded? No vault. I will look for something for her feet.
If she still has pain then I'll take her for an X-ray.

Coach thought my daughters was that as well. Had it checked out & no fracture. She laid off the tumbling & running for a week. No PE for 2 wks. 2 Aleves 2x a day & a laced brace. Basically she just needed to rest it. Good luck!

I broke my sesamoid bone a few weeks/months ago. I did it by stubbing my toe a few to many times... Get it checked out. Push for an xray.

I broke my seasamoid bone back in May, found out in June. Had practiced for a moth with it broken. It took 2 months before I got to do gymnastics agin, boos, cast, crutches. Nothing helped. It still hurt but I just deal with it. The only thing that help a little is calcium supplements.

I have seasimoiditis. They can't take an X-ray now so I am hoping it is not a break. I was dealing with pain for over a year before I went to the doc. Get it checked out now. With some rest she should be fine in a couple weeks but the longer it is avoided the longer the recovery.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back