Pan Ams live streaming

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NO feed worked in Canada ironic as we actualy have a team there. THe Canucks placed 3rd, the USA first. The USA apparently had lots of mistakes, as did Canada.

I am going to sulk, I missed a class to watch, and then no feed. BAD BAD terra tv.

Last edited:
I was surprised at the talent from some of these very poor countries. Where do these girls train? It seems weird that a place like the Dominican Republic where there is such widespread famine have elite level athletes training there.

I know the Columbian girl and her coach trained in Ottawa, Canada for quite a long time with her coach. Someone is paying. But yes it is great to see such talent coming out of countries with so litle. Can you imagine how well those girls would do in countries like the USA.

Those poor countries aren't completely poor - what is ususally the case is that most of the resources are in the hands of a relative few rich families. i.e. there is no real middle class - you are either rich or poor. The rich folks have access to all sorts of things - there's a lot of culture and resources in these countries that never make it onto the news. You may find a gym that is able to train potential gymnasts on an aid or scholarship basis, opening up the sport to those who would otherwise not be able to pay for it. Other gyms may cater only to the wealthy.

Now a small island like Barbados would have a hard time making it to that level of international competition, because we truly do not have the resources in this tiny country to train at that level. But we do OK in the Junior Olympic program, considering our constraints.

At least a few of these these girls are dual citizens who have the opportunity to train in countries with more developed gymnastics programs as well. Did anyone catch the interview on gymnastike with the one Jamaican girl during the preliminary rounds of Worlds? She's a dual citizen and competes level 10 in the JO program. What an incredible opportunity for a JO gymnast though, to be able to go to Worlds and have that experience, no matter what country you were representing.

Congrats to Bridgette Caquatto, but have to say I was pulling for Gomez from Quatemala. Especially seeing her out there in an off-the-rack GK tank leo holding her own against the Americans and Canadiens in their fancy custom made leos! :D

On a side note, anyone know what her chances are for qualifying to the Olympics? Will she have to go to the "test" event that the teams who didn't qualify yet will be going to? Or does finishing this well at an event like this help her at all with qualifying?

Congrats to Bridgette Caquatto, but have to say I was pulling for Gomez from Quatemala. Especially seeing her out there in an off-the-rack GK tank leo holding her own against the Americans and Canadiens in their fancy custom made leos! :D

On a side note, anyone know what her chances are for qualifying to the Olympics? Will she have to go to the "test" event that the teams who didn't qualify yet will be going to? Or does finishing this well at an event like this help her at all with qualifying?

She will have to go to the test event in January, there has been some discussion of the "wild card", but nobody seems to know if it exists. BUt she would be a perfect wild card entry.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back