Past Olympians Making Possible Comeback?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
I hope this isnt in the wrong place for this.
But I was wondering what everyone thought about this topic.

The ones I know about are
Alica Sacramone
Shawn Johnson
and possibly Nastia Luikin

How do you all feel about this? I kinda have mixed feelings. First let me say, I LOVE them all. I think it would be amazing to see the "older" gymnast in the olympics. I have heard so many people talk about Alicia being "too old" to make an olympic comeback. By 2012 she would be in her mid 20s (24 i believe). Which sadly it seems to be pretty close to the truth. You just dont see gymnasts at that level at that age. Maybe these "girls" whom will all be in their 20s by 2012 can change that ideal gymnast age? But if it doesnt work out that way, would sending these girls (if they qualify) in turn crush the chances of 3 other younger girls who arent sent and then themselves are "too old" and then they dont get the chance to ever attend an olympics where these girls already have? I know its 2 yrs away and soooo much can change in that time. This goes without saying I think the best should go, no matter what their age is. If the younger ones are better..send them. If the older girls are better..send them. Maybe the "perfect team" would be a mixed bag of the girls.

Anyway, I was just sitting here thinking this so thought I would share my thoughts and see how you all feel.

I agree that the best should go regardless of age. But, there is also no "law" or "rule" that says you can only participate in one olympics. If you look at the US history of the Olympics, there are several very strong gymnasts that made multiple olympic teams - Shannon Miller (2), Dominique Dawes (3), Kerri Strug (2), and Amy Chow (2) to name a few. If there is a gymnast in her early 20's and she was very successful at the last olympics and she is still healthy and good enough to go to the next one, then by all means send her. "Experience" at this level is also very important in determining who will represent the US at the olympics. Great topic, btw!!!

Some people do say that by the time your 20, your a has been. But, look at Oksana Chusovitina, born in 1975, and still competing, hoping to compete in the 2010 summer olympics.

I think it's great that they still love the sport so much to continue training. Honestly, I don't think that Nastia Liukin will ever compete again. Shawn will probably be around next year but I don't know if she'll be able to get her difficulty back. Alicia Sacramone is looking really good right now but she needs to get an Amanar and start competing floor again if she wants to get an Olympic spot over McKayla Maroney (assuming neither one gets injured or quits or something). Also Paul Hamm is making a comeback, which is so exciting!

Alicia Sacramone decided that she had something left to prove. It's that thought in the back of her mind that keeps her in the gym. Her performance at the 2010 Nationals wasn't the greatest, but it was also her first large competition since Bejing, so it was to be expected that she wasn't 100%. I also have no doubt that Nastia will do well in making the 2012 team because she's been in the gym consistently for the last 2(?) years. Shawn Johnson is the one I would wonder about, because after taking 2 years off, she's lost some of her skills and flexibility. And, after a serious knee injury and surgery, she's got a lot to work on. However, she took the 6 months off that her doctor required and she is back in the gym. I think, personally, the injury helped her realize how much she loved gymnastics, something like "you don't know what you've got til it's gone". I'll be interested to see what happens in the upcoming months leading up to the Olympic trials.

Currently, the US has to ability to make up a dream team of power, beauty, technique and skill. You also have to consider the younger girls who aren't even old enough to compete in the senior class until next year, but have a lot of promise. It's all about who is consistent and promising when it comes to selecting the team. And it's about timing. I mean, unless you really time it when you CREATE a baby, and say "I want my child to go to the Olympics, so they need to be born in a certain year so they're at the minimum age the first time around", it's hit or miss. And I know girls who were too young at one point, and four years later, they were worn out or injured or lost interest.

I think the next year is going to crucial when it comes to who we'll see in London, but like I said, I have no doubt that Nastia will make the 2012 team, and I hope Alica does, as well, because from where she is now, she's got something left to prove. Nastia, on the other hand, is the current champion, so she'll either be remembered as the two-time AA Olympic Champion, or not...

Alicia Sacramone decided that she had something left to prove. It's that thought in the back of her mind that keeps her in the gym. Her performance at the 2010 Nationals wasn't the greatest, but it was also her first large competition since Bejing, so it was to be expected that she wasn't 100%. I also have no doubt that Nastia will do well in making the 2012 team because she's been in the gym consistently for the last 2(?) years. Shawn Johnson is the one I would wonder about, because after taking 2 years off, she's lost some of her skills and flexibility. And, after a serious knee injury and surgery, she's got a lot to work on. However, she took the 6 months off that her doctor required and she is back in the gym. I think, personally, the injury helped her realize how much she loved gymnastics, something like "you don't know what you've got til it's gone". I'll be interested to see what happens in the upcoming months leading up to the Olympic trials.

Currently, the US has to ability to make up a dream team of power, beauty, technique and skill. You also have to consider the younger girls who aren't even old enough to compete in the senior class until next year, but have a lot of promise. It's all about who is consistent and promising when it comes to selecting the team. And it's about timing. I mean, unless you really time it when you CREATE a baby, and say "I want my child to go to the Olympics, so they need to be born in a certain year so they're at the minimum age the first time around", it's hit or miss. And I know girls who were too young at one point, and four years later, they were worn out or injured or lost interest.

I think the next year is going to crucial when it comes to who we'll see in London, but like I said, I have no doubt that Nastia will make the 2012 team, and I hope Alica does, as well, because from where she is now, she's got something left to prove. Nastia, on the other hand, is the current champion, so she'll either be remembered as the two-time AA Olympic Champion, or not...

You think Nastia, who hasn't even committed to training yet after her year off, is not only guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team but also has a chance at Olympic AA? I'd like to have some of what you're on because it seems kind of strong.

You think Nastia, who hasn't even committed to training yet after her year off, is not only guaranteed a spot on the Olympic team but also has a chance at Olympic AA? I'd like to have some of what you're on because it seems kind of strong.

Feel free todisagree with someone, but DO NOT insult them afterwards. This is not how we do things here.

Nastia has posted on Twitter multiple times that she's been in the gym training in recent months. I took that to mean that she was planning on returning to competition. And I guess my sarcasm wasn't interpreted but I meant my post about her chance at the AA to be somewhat sarcastic, in that it may or may not happen, depending on what happens with the other girls in contention.

And bog, thanks for that post. Otherwise I would have said something. Didn't mean.

Nastia has posted on Twitter multiple times that she's been in the gym training in recent months. I took that to mean that she was planning on returning to competition. And I guess my sarcasm wasn't interpreted but I meant my post about her chance at the AA to be somewhat sarcastic, in that it may or may not happen, depending on what happens with the other girls in contention.

And bog, thanks for that post. Otherwise I would have said something. Didn't mean.

Shes training for the gymnastics and skating spectacular. She has stated many times she hasn't committed to returning to competition in the last few months.

In my humble opinion, sometimes athletes have to realize that they're not always going to be an athlete. Whether that means going the coaching/judging route or divorcing the sport completely, no matter how hard the realization is...it has to happen. Face reality, let it go, etc. However, I think Sacramone looked fine at Nationals, if not the best gymnast there, and I guess she has a fair shot at another Olympics. If she does it right. We don't want another Sasha Cohen - she wouldn't let figure skating go so she got too skinny and her famous 180-degree spirals (like a scale/arabesque on ice) got wobbly and she used the Moonlight Sonata. The Moonlight Sonata! Come on!

I don't like this too much. Alicia, though, has made a very strong comeback and I think she could do very well on vault in 2012 if she stays healthy. I've seen videos of Shawn's progress. She's doing OK but she will never be the way she was before. 2 years is very long for elite gymnasts. I also highly doubt Nastia could make a very succesul comeback. Another problem I have with this is Shawn or Nastia goes back in 2012, it would be unfair for the seniors and upcoming juniors training for 2012 now. Rebecca Bross was only months away from the cut off date and she's been training hard for this ever since them. They should let the newer, upcoming gymnasts (Becca,Jordyn,Kyla,ect.) have a chance. They had their Olympic chance and did VERY well (1st and 2nd AA and 1st and 2nd in EF). They don't need to go back. aSac though, had a lot of problems in 2008 and probably wants to go back and redeem herself.

Last edited:
They should let the newer, upcoming gymnasts (Becca,Jordyn,Kyla,ect.) have a chance. They had their Olympic chance and did VERY well (1st and 2nd AA and 1st and 2nd in EF). They don't need to go back. aSac though, had a lot of problems in 2008 and probably wants to go back and redeem herself.

The best should go every time in my opinion, no letting other people 'have their chance'

Agreed ^

Since when do we want to send anything less than the best to represent our country at the Olympics? Forget the age. Age doesn't matter(as long as you're over 16, that is). Skill does. Look at Oksana Chusovitina. She is in her thirties and still competes as one of the top German gymnasts. Should she be told that she is too old, even though she is the best in the country? If Shawn and Nastia still have the skill, then who cares about their ages. Fact is, if Bross and the rest can't beat them out for the spot, then how in the world are they ever going to be able to take on the international competition?

Older Athletes

I'm not involved in gymnastics, but as a personal trainer and coach involved in ski racing, I see gymnastics going through much the same evolution that ski racing has. In the past ski racers competed through high school and then if they were good enough to make the national team, they skied through one or at the outside two Olympic quadrenniums and retiring in their mid-20s. Now World Cup skiers are racing well into their mid 30s, almost 40s. The reason is two-fold. Better sports science, keeps athletes stronger, fitter, faster a lot longer than ever before. But also, money. Racing for years was a recreation where athletes had to figure out how to make a living while doing their sport. Nowdays, an athlete among the top 50 in the world can make pretty decent money, and the top athletes are making seven-figure incomes. With the right training in terms of volume, intensity and periodization, there is absolutely no reason an elite gymnast cannot execute and win as a 24 or 28 year-old. With sponsorships and event appearances, the best can do a lot to secure their financial futures. The biggest challenge for gymnasts it seems to me is that given the demands of the sport is their ability to keep their head in the game past their high-school and/or collegiate years. That's why I think it's a very good sign that both Sacramone and Johnson took some time out to gain some perspective on their sport and careers. I really think that over the next 18 months they have the potential to develop into stronger more balanced gymnasts than they ever were in 2008. For younger talents just coming up, achieving the top podium step is going to be even more difficult as older experienced athletes stick with their profession.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back