WAG Perks of being a Gymnast (or Gym Parent)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipandfly

Gymnast
Add yours via comment!

(Gymnast version below):

Cool photos everywhere
PE is an easy A
Master of instant ponytail/messy bun
Instant discussion topic for relatives
Another set of friends (teammates)
Endless grassy areas are actually fun
Your sport doesn't have comps outside
You can stay on the curbs out of the bushes... or not
Life lessons learned

(I will probably think of ten more once I hit the post button lol...)

Coordination
Strength
Flexibility
Balance
Confidence
Courage
Focus
Determination
The ability to set and work towards goals
The ability to take and encorporate feedback
The ability to face your fears
Constant cross body movement which significantly improves concentration, memory and cognitive abilities
Learning good time management at an early age
Kids tied up in the gym so many hours have less time to get bored and get into trouble
Doing a sport they love means they will care about their health and are less likeley to expose their body to smoking, drugs, alcohol etc
Fitness
Endurance
Coaches they spend so many hours and years with that a special bond ensues, and they have more adults in their life that care about them and that they can go to if needed.
They have something they are passionate about to develop all the wonderful life skills

For parents?

Never having to worry about trying to figure out a useful purpose for unspent money
So many weekends where the "oh, what should we do today?" never comes up
Driving skills for handling inclement weather remain consistently sharp through practice
Many opportunities to learn and practice psychological counseling
Lots of chances to solve any lingering low blood pressure problems

No, seriously, I agree with Aussie Coach's list. It's been great for them and I appreciate all they are getting beyond the physical skills: the mental toughness, the perseverance, the ability to absorb constructive criticism, the friendship, the sportsmanship, and the dedication to physical fitness. I can say on the last point that their physical prowess was what motivated me to get my butt out the door and running several times a week. And I do love watching them do their thing. I've also appreciated learning so much about the sport itself, which I have come to love.

Sitting around on a Saturday night watching your daughter begin the very early process of choosing floor music with mini routines to boot. Priceless.

Getting over fears that
You know are valid.
My heart is thumping;
Never give up
Ability to leap tall vaults in a single bound
Scores are not the goal!
Talking myself through it-
I can do it!
Calm under pressure?
Sure....sometimes.

.....this was my daughter's acrostic for school. With her permission, I am posting it here.:D

My Gymmie says the best parts are:

• a career option
• new friends
• a good body nice health
• always having something to look forward to
• discipline
• scholarships
• unable to party less likelihood to drink[emoji6]
• lastly having drive!

I love this thread!

This sport has so many benefits. I have had numerous parents come up to me explaining things that have happened in their children's lives, and how gymnastics helped them. And I, myself, have learned so much, and have become a better person because of this sport. Coaching has taught me a lot about myself.

There are too many benefits to mention!!!

I used to count that as a positive, until the gym added a boys' team. And they share a locker room.

My DD does a weekly private at a gym with a big boys team. She says they're gross. They leave socks everywhere and make the place stinkier. Ha ha ha! There are no locker rooms though. That would maybe be a different story (unless locker room means something different than what it does to me), but we've never seen a gym with a locker room. We've felt lucky to have a couple gyms with team cubbies.

My DD does a weekly private at a gym with a big boys team. She says they're gross. They leave socks everywhere and make the place stinkier. Ha ha ha! There are no locker rooms though. That would maybe be a different story (unless locker room means something different than what it does to me), but we've never seen a gym with a locker room. We've felt lucky to have a couple gyms with team cubbies.

It is not exactly a locker room. It is a team-only room with cubbies and individual changing stalls with curtains. I have heard some stories about the girls teasing the boys through the curtains, though. And the girls and boys all seem to leave socks everywhere.

I really like all of these responses, and those who mentioned the lifelong skills gymnastics offers. It's nice to look back and know that there are so many perks of this challenging sport.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back