Parents Picking a gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dragonflydisney

Proud Parent
My daughter is really young( 3 years old) but seems to love gymnastics and is quick to pick things up. We have a few local gyms that get ok-good reviews. They do have teams that compete, but don't rank high. 45 minutes away from us is a gym that has trained 2 Olympic gymnasts, including one that is competing this year.
I don't know if my daughter will decide to stay in gymnastics, or if she will even been skilled enough to make a team. But my question is, Is it better to start her in a mediocre gym and move her if she does well. Or just start her off in a great gym, just in case? Is it better to have her in best gym, so she won't have to move later?
I hope that made sense. I really want to give her the best leg up, if she decides she loves gymnastics and wants to compete at some point.

At 3, find a gym that is close by that has a preschool teacher who loves teaching preschoolers and who instills excitement and lots of encouragement. Find a class where the kids are always moving and active (vs sitting and one child going at a time). If after a year or two your child still loves it and shows aptitude for team, then look at all your options. Overall reviews and team success really has very little relationship to the quality of instruction for 3 year olds.

Although it's potentially years down the road, each gymmie is different just as each child is different.

We all learn differently, and different gymnasts will respond differently to the variety of coaching styles out there. (Wow! I just said different a lot) Maybe the preschool program is great, and the gym has a great reputation, but the coaching style doesn't work for her personality.

You could intend for your 3 year old to stay at the same gym for the next 15 years and the coaches are great, but coaching changes happen, and you may find that the new coaches aren't the right fit.

Being a parent of a gymnast means living in a world of uncertainty... (all answers in parentheses are relates to my "vast" experience of my daughter's two years as a compulsory gymnast)

What is the fall practice schedule going to be? (Don't expect to find out until August)

What is the summer practice schedule going to be? (You'll find out in June)

What level will she be? (who knows--depends on if she gets those skills)

What is the meet schedule going to be? (Tentative schedule comes out in late September)

What day/time will my gymmie compete at a specific meet? (Sometimes you find out 10 days before the meet)

How much will this all cost? (Too much)

What I am certain of is that my daughter almost lives for the gym. I know this was really long winded. What I meant to say is find a preschool program with active & happy kids, and engaged & enthusiastically positive teachers that is close to home. If she shows a love, passion and drive for the sport, then it's about finding a place where she would thrive as a competitive gymnast. Let her have fun now, and worry about the "right" gym for when she's at that point.

If your child is truly Elite and Olympic potential it really won't matter what gym they are in at age 3, or even 8 years of age. Go somewhere close that has a good preschool program, that is focused on appropriate development for a child of that age, not just doing skills earlier.

Thank you all for your honest replies. I had so many people telling me, oh this gym is bad... That gym is bad... Go to the best. And I was getting so stressed out. Like my decision now was going to make or break her if she ever wanted to keep doing gymnastics. I'm going to stick with the gym that she is taking a summer class at now.
Thanks again!

When my kids were 3 years old a 45 minute car ride for gymnastics would have put a serious damper on the fun. 45 minute ride for a (probably) 40 minute class and then another 45 minute ride would have tainted the experience. Find some place that is fun and makes her want more. Save the boring car rides for when she gets serious about gym and has serious amounts of homework for entertainment during the ride.

We started with somewhere that loves the kids with our two kids around that age. My kids were shy. I don't think any other environment would work that well for them. So it might depend on your child.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back