WAG Pike jump &+ Other questions..?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1) I have a pike jump in my beam routine! Or did..The coach wants to take it out, but i am very determined to prove to her that i can do it with the appropriate height she is looking for (horizontal). What are some conditiong drills or flexibility drills i can do to get it higher? I dont think It's my flexibilty since i can do a pike sit all the way down and get my hips all the way down in a straddle sit.
2) Do you need a B in the level six beam ?
3) I do privates every now in then to work on skills with the head coach. We are currently in "competition" mode since our first meet is coming up very soon. We mostly do routines after routines during practice. I wanted to use this private to work on up skills and such. We started working yurchenkos/giants/etc during the summer & i have done ro on to the board and bhs up to the pit mat. (with a different coach) I kind of wanted to work on that stuff during the private but i don't know if i should bring it up or let the coach decide what we work on? Sorry if this is a little confusing!

Thanks so much!

Is level 6 like the old level 7, because then yes, I do believe you need a B jump though usually people do split jumps so they get credit for their 180 degree split as well which is a special requirement.

One drill I know of to improve the speed and height of the legs for pike jumps is laying on your back on the floor with your arms above your head holding onto a mat or the floor in an eagle grip you bring you legs up into a pike as fast as you can. Do sets of 10 or more at a time. Doing these with ankle weights on your ankles and doing pike jumps with ankle weights on is also beneficial. I hope that description makes sense.

I feel that you should tell your coach what you would like to do during your privates but make it clear to them that its their decision what you do. You should collaborate and get on the same page about what skills you need work on and can start learning. This will make for better training as a whole I believe.

I hope this helped. Good luck with everything! :)

In level 6, you need 5 A and 1 B skill. It doesn't have to be a B jump - any B will work.
As for a Private... you are paying for it, so you should have a say in what you do. After all, you could choose NOT to do a private. BUT you need to let the coach know what you want the private for BEFORE you schedule it. If the coach doesn't think it is a good idea to work these uptraining skills, then you can choose whether or not to still schedule it.

Do pike jumps on a soft mat that makes it harder to jump. You'll get faster at moving into and out of your pike. Learning how to pike quickly will give you more time to get your feet level to the floor, and jumping on an 8 inch mat will help you do better at all your jumping skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back