Piking after pirouette on bars-Level 8

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Is there a deduction for a distinct pike after pirouette on bars? My daughter's coach suggested she pike to get around after her pirouette. Note: it is not a mild, slight pike. It is tight, with straight legs and all but more than a 90 degree pike. I've seen girls pike a little bit, but hers looks pretty "pikey". While I've got your attention, my daughter is now also hitting the bars when she does her giants. Her bar setting is still may inches less than the fig setting. But in the interim, doing her giants is now a little difficult. Any thoughts?

When you say she's piking after the pirouette, do you mean as she's dropping into a glide swing after it? If so, the pike is acceptable technique.

As for bar setting, that's very individual; where I'd set the bar depends on the kid.

Thank you Geoffrey Taucer. Yes, I believe that is a glide swing she is doing. Pardon my ignorance. And as far as the bar setting, I don't know why they refuse to widen the gap between the low and high bar, unless they are trying to get her used to the smaller fig setting. I guess I should check with the coach. Thanks again.

Thank you Geoffrey Taucer. Yes, I believe that is a glide swing she is doing. Pardon my ignorance. And as far as the bar setting, I don't know why they refuse to widen the gap between the low and high bar, unless they are trying to get her used to the smaller fig setting. I guess I should check with the coach. Thanks again.

There are several reasons they may want the bars closer. Generally, having the bars closer forces better tap swing technique (up to a point), and it also makes bar transfers much easier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back