Pirouette On Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

<3gymgurl26<3

I am a level 8 gymnast. I am having trouble doing pirouette on the bars. I'm not scared of it, I'm just having trouble doing it. I have a good cast to handstand, but I wait too long to turn, and then I can't seem to get over in the pirouette. When I do get over, I can't control it that well, like I am hitting the ground with my feet when I turn. Any suggestions on how to fix it??:confused:

That skill was hard for me too!!
I did alot of timers on a floor bar.
Jump or kick up to handstand, turn and then go to push-up position.
You can also do it on the floor, by jumping to handstand turning and doing another one without stopping.
Hope you get it soon!!

If you figure out how not to hit your feet...my DGD can use that information...she can get the pirouette down without any problem, but then drops too fast and doesn't get her feet pulled up and hits the floor. I think this is a strength issue. It would seem that as soon as you hit the handstand you need to turn and not hold that handstand too long...but what do I know.

Do you do a straddle cast or a straight cast?

I'm a big fan of early pirouettes -- that is, pirouettes that happen on the way up rather than at the top. In a straight-body cast, it is possible to do the entire pirouette on the way up and finish as you hit handstand. This is less practical with a straddle cast, but I still prefer the post arm to switch grips before the cast reaches handstand if possible.

Beyond that, there really aren't any secrets. Do it early, do it fast, and do it about 83473093984753034904385309349848 times on a floor bar/bounce bar.

If your feet are hitting the floor it is probably because your shoulders are getting behind the bar on your drop. You need to work your planche out of your pirouette.

Reply to Everyone

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions. I appreciate it and I will try everything you have told me.

To Geoffrey Taucer and anyone else who was wondering:
I do a straddle cast to handstand.

Thanks scooch531 for the information, I will pass this on to my DGD. Once she stops hitting her feet then she will have to work on those handstands after the fact and the giants that are a bit slow and sloppy...highest score she has gotten is an 8.0 and I think it was a bit of a "gimmie"....but we were happy to get it.

Again, I would like to thank everyone!!! It has improved a lot since I have posted this!!!:) Thanks for all the help and supporting me!!!:)

Work on casting over the bar so you know how it feels. Then you can practice on a floor bar and get you coach to spot you on half pirouettes where you turn your hand early.
Hope this helps :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back