Parents please help me with scheduling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Neveranathlete

Proud Parent
Next year, if all goes well, I will have one daughter (5) on preteam and one daughter (4) in the developmental class. The preteam meets T and Th and the developmental class meets on W. I really can't make it to gym 3 days a week next year. The following year, we will be able to. I am trying to think of a flexible solution to this, instead of having to cut my younger daughter out of the developmental class. Do you have any creative solutions for me? I'm still fairly new to gymnastics, so I don't know the culture well enough. So, for example, would a coach let my 5 year old go to preteam 1 day and developmental class the other day (with her sister)? Or, would they let me put my 4 year old into a rec class and have the teacher differentiate a bit? Or would it be ok to have my daughter on preteam one day and a private lesson on the day my younger daughter goes to her developmental class? I'd love feedback please!!

I can only speak for our gym but they wouldn't let you budge on the preterm schedule. They might work with you on the developmental class.

I would be hesitant to take your dd out of a day of preteam and replace with the developmental class unless the gym can assure you that she won't miss anything by doing that. It wouldn't work at our gym. Developmental is learning shapes, etc. pre-team is learning skills and routines for level 3. Missing a day would potentially put her behind. You would need to know how those classes work at your gym.

I'm no help but we have parents bringing kids to the gym 6 days a week because of different days.

Don't be surprised if you have to make choices. A year won't make a lot of difference necessarily

If this is something that will likely continue to be an issue, I would really consider reevaluating whether gymnastics is a good fit for you as a family.

My DD started the developmental track six years ago, and my DS just finished his first competitive season. I got extremely lucky that their schedules overlapped this school year. This summer? DD will practice 5 days and my DS will practice 4. Of 18 total potential trips to/from the gym per week, only two overlap. AND I'm losing my carpool (though there's some potential to carpool with other families that we're trying to work out). Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but the reality is that it really can be a bit of a drag.

That said, the kids love it, so on we go.

For what it's worth, at this point, DD's gym would not accommodate schedules in your situation, and I don't think it's to be picky or difficult. I've always suspected that it's to weed out the kids who won't be able to commit to the hellish schedules. The reality is it's an enormous commitment that only grows with time.

Good luck.

I think gyms accomodate the schedule that works for them. And why not. It would be impossible to make it work for all.

I do agree with this. I mean, attempting to piece together schedules for countless groups of kids in rec, Xcel, boys team, and girls team, etc in one shared space must be nauseatingly migraine-inducing. There is a finite amount of available resources (space/coaches).

So I'm guessing it's not only this (they make fit what they can), but also somewhat that there genuinely is a bit of a requirement of flexibility in potential team families. I'm sure that in general they'd prefer not to invest in kids likely to drop because only Mondays and Thursdays work, you know? And if you make an exception for Susie, what about Emily?

My vote is to talk to the coaches, and see what can be done for the younger one-maybe she isn't in the developmental class, but she does some other class two days a week (if there is indeed one avail) on the same days your oldest is there....but if the coaches are approachable (hopefully-I am sure they are) then it is time for the approach. Good luck!

I have two sons on team, different levels, and it can definitely be a hassle dealing with the practice scheduling. And then there is the meets. This year we had meets on opposite sides of the state or in two different states on the same weekend. That happened three times. Fun times!

I think it makes sense to talk to the coach, but I suggest make sure there is a good clear explanation why you literally can not make it to the gym even three days a week and why you WILL be able to get your kids there three days (or probably more, because if they get on/stay on team it will be more, right?) after this year.

Other ideas- What does the developmental class really entail? If they only offer that once a week, could you possibly have that child go to another gym but on the same day your other daughter has pre team?

Or could the 4 year old just be in some other rec class or something? I think that was already suggested. I know nothing about girls gym but that makes the most sense to me as she is only 4.

or Could your preteam daughter do a private on Wednesdays and miss one of the practices?

Both of your girls are so young that I wouldn't worry too much. I would ask if there are any other groups on Tuesdays or Thursdays that your 4 year old could attend. If she's an advanced 4 year old they might suggest a rec class for slightly older kids. At her age the point is to have fun and rec classes are just that! After one year you can ask the coaches to re-evaluate her - most of the talented 4 year olds are still talented at 5, 6, 7... No matter if they have been in a developmental group or rec or just playing at home. You are not closing any doors by waiting a year with her.

Both of your girls are so young that I wouldn't worry too much. I would ask if there are any other groups on Tuesdays or Thursdays that your 4 year old could attend. If she's an advanced 4 year old they might suggest a rec class for slightly older kids. At her age the point is to have fun and rec classes are just that! After one year you can ask the coaches to re-evaluate her - most of the talented 4 year olds are still talented at 5, 6, 7... No matter if they have been in a developmental group or rec or just playing at home. You are not closing any doors by waiting a year with her.
This

We're at the gym 6 days a week between my two kids (9hrs and 18hrs). It doesn't get any easier as they get older and hours go up.
I'd just pull the 4 year old and put her in a rec class that works with older sister's schedule and try preteam next year when you can pull off three days.

I agree with everyone else. The hours can multiply really quickly and you gotta be willing to go on that ride. Two years in and I have girls in two gyms, in two towns, with different schedules, six days a week. One goes four days in the mornings (52 miles away) and one goes three days in the evening (14 miles away), they both go Saturday mornings, which is the hardest part.

For your immediate issue, at four I would just put your younger DD in whatever class they have open to her that fits better with your current schedule. I don't think I'd personally ask the coaches to make exceptions, etc, at this early stage because it sends them the wrong message- at least in my experience with the gyms we have attended.

At 4 years old, I probably would not make waves and ask for any exception.

I would just tell Coach, "We know gymnastics is a huge commitment if our daughters stay in long term, and we are already looking ahead to arrange our own schedules to make sure they are always here when they need to be. For right now, though, I do have a conflict (explain conflict briefly), and so to work around this, I'm thinking my younger daughter could take a Rec class on X day instead of the developmental class, just for the next year. Do you think this would be OK for her? Might she be invited back to developmental next year?"

Then if the coach has another suggestion, or has any concerns about the arrangement, you will hear that directly and can make decisions accordingly. If needed, you could withdraw her at 4, and return at age 5 and still be just fine. Some programs are crazy strict, though, and might look down on a withdrawal from an invite-only class, so always good to ask in advance.

In reality, if your DDs stay in gym, you will very soon be at gym every day, possibly with different drop off and pick up times. Many, many families hire drivers/nannies, etc to help out if work schedules cannot flex as needed and there are no extended family around to help out. My spouse has had to sacrifice work (giving up paid work) to play driver as our kids have advanced, as it was either that or hire a paid driver.

As others have said, if this lifestyle isn't going to work for your family, best to highly consider that now before your girls are further along and it would be more difficult to tear them away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back