WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is probably a dumb question but since USAG cancelled all sanctioned meets, do they have the power to close all gyms? Just wondering because my gym just posted that they’re staying open until they’re told to close.
No USAG doesn't have the power to close private businesses, they just can control meets they sanction as a governing body. The closing of businesses would have to come from city/state/federal government.

No USAG doesn't have the power to close private businesses, they just can control meets they sanction as a governing body. The closing of businesses would have to come from city/state/federal government.
could the gym continue the meet as an unsanctioned meet?

The gym where my daughter trains at college has been closed down until further notice on decree of the governor of the state. Her school is closed anyway, but this was a private usag gym. I believe all gyms in that area are closed. All public venues, in fact.

What would be the point?
To allow the girls to continue to compete and not lose the revenue from cancelling the meet. Then again, if it is no longer a USAG sanctioned meet, I suppose the host would have to refund fees to those requesting it.

I think they are honestly just trying to let us down easy. I mean NCAA canceled the college women’s nationals! Odds aren’t in our favor here

I think they are honestly just trying to let us down easy. I mean NCAA canceled the college women’s nationals! Odds aren’t in our favor here
I agree. I think they are keeping hope since it is still a ways out, but it's not looking good. Personally, I have already accepted the fact that season has been completed. If we get Regionals/Westerns back, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree. I think they are keeping hope since it is still a ways out, but it's not looking good. Personally, I have already accepted the fact that season has been completed. If we get Regionals/Westerns back, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.
Exactly

I was honestly just hoping states would happen, because you could see the hammer falling...

https://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-world-closing-coronavirus/. This is obviously super disappointing to a lot of people too, but I commend Disney for putting people‘s health over profits. Hopefully this will help slow the spread so hospitals and health care workers aren’t overwhelmed with too many sick people at once. But again, I do feel awful for people who planned an amazing vacation and for all the gymnasts (especially in their last year!) who are so disappointed with the meets being canceled. Good mojo being sent to all!

I am glad that meets are being canceled and wish USAG would cancel the rest of the season. That would greatly reduce the temptation for gyms to stay open and keep kids training.

Most school districts in our area are closing for a minimum of three weeks, and we expect ours to fall in line in short order. My husband’s employer has gone to mandatory remote work, and I will begin working from home within the next few days. Whether or not the gym stays open, today was my daughter’s last practice for a while. And athough it pains me greatly, I will also be taking a break from my own “extracurriculars.”

What I find interesting is that businesses were the first to take action to implement mitigation strategies, then state and local governments followed. I suspect that the more proactive governmental responses, such as decisions to close schools in areas without evidence of community transmission, have been driven in large part by public sentiment and media coverage.

What I find interesting is that businesses were the first to take action to implement mitigation strategies, then state and local governments followed. I suspect that the more proactive governmental responses, such as decisions to close schools in areas without evidence of community transmission, have been driven in large part by public sentiment and media coverage.

Here I have mostly seen the opposite. City health officials have had to lay heavy pressure to get large events to close. Many cities implemented limits on large gatherings. But once all that happened, the rest started falling like dominoes.

Our city did not actually want the schools to close, citing the heavy tolls on working families, and the fact that, when schools had closed before for viruses, everyone just put their kids in large day camp situations, really negating any good effect closing schools would have had. The schools have closed anyway. We'll see.

Thank you for making the choice to protect your gymnasts, your staff, and the more vulnerable people with whom they interact.

To clarify, I'm not the owner, I'm just a coach. It wasn't my decision.

I think it was the right call, though. I'd even messaged the manager earlier today to let her know that if more cases popped up locally I'd have to bail. Of the three people I live with, one is immunocompromised and the other two are in their sixties (and one of those two has chronic respiratory problems); I can't afford to take any chances.

Let's leave politics out of the discussion because both sides of the aisle can easily defend their positions on this.

Colleges are closing up shop to reduce their **liability** (just like the sports organizations) and spread out the population across a larger area in case hospitalization is needed. Colleges really don't want to be dealing with 20% of students in a dorm with fevers that they (students) don't know how to treat (and may not have the medications for). Better for the students to be at home with families when possible and the ones who must stay in the dorms can be watched over more easily. While our government could force a quarantine like China did, the leadership understands it is better for the citizens to do this themselves, through local/state, organizations, businesses, etc.

As far as it being worse than China, only time will tell but it is unlikely since the Chinese population is much older less healthy respiratory wise due to increased levels of smoking in the population (both past and present).

This virus is going to go through 20+% of the US population regardless of isolation. The key is to slow the rate of this spread, not the actual percentage. By slowing the rate, the cases are across a longer period of time, which improves the survival rate by not overwhelming medical community. We do not have enough hospital beds, respiratory equipment, personnel to care for the approximately 9 million who will need hospitalization.

I hear ya, but there is literally not one person in the world that thinks Trump is handling this well. I won't say another word though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back