WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The death rate is Absolutely higher than the flu... Unless you don't count dead elderly people as people. Lets not spread false information folks. When was the last time you saw a cruise ship off shore with 6 dead people on it from the flu..... Apparently it targets the sick and Elderly with a mortality rate 20 times the flu.

The ship was quarantined on 4 February 2020[13][15] in the Port of Yokohama in Japan. As of 25 February, 705 out of the 3,711 passengers and crew had been infected, with six deaths.[16][17] The infections included at least 138 from India, including 132 crew and 6 passengers, 35 Filipinos, 32 Canadians, 24 Australians, 13 Americans, 4 Indonesians, 4 Malaysians,[18] and 2 Britons.[19][20][21] Home countries arranged to evacuate their citizens and quarantine them further in their own countries. As of 1 March, all on board including the crew and the captain had disembarked, and there had been 10 recoveries and at least 6 deaths among those on the ship.[22][19][20][21] As of 3rd March, infections are 706 which includes 6 deaths.

If they cancel the Regionals and Nationals for JO, will they then cancel the Olympics? How could they justify the one and not the other? Especially since the Olympics is international, greater crowds, more people participating, therefore even greater risk.

I don't think kendo was at all implying that Asians in Seattle have a higher chance of carrying the virus. I read that post to mean that culturally multiple generations tend to live together in the same household (kids, parents, grandparents) which could put the older generation adults at higher risk. Little kids are germ factories, no matter their culture.
She didn't say they were not likely to have crornavirus, she said they're more likely to live in multi-generational households, which is a fact. How on Earth would that be construed as xenophobic?

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Thank you :)

That cruise ship situation is slightly skewed as many passengers are older than 65. 6/706 is 0.8% which is probably comparable to flu fatality rate in that age demographics

The death rate is Absolutely higher than the flu... Unless you don't count dead elderly people as people. Lets not spread false information folks. When was the last time you saw a cruise ship off shore with 6 dead people on it from the flu..... Apparently it targets the sick and Elderly with a mortality rate 20 times the flu.

The ship was quarantined on 4 February 2020[13][15] in the Port of Yokohama in Japan. As of 25 February, 705 out of the 3,711 passengers and crew had been infected, with six deaths.[16][17] The infections included at least 138 from India, including 132 crew and 6 passengers, 35 Filipinos, 32 Canadians, 24 Australians, 13 Americans, 4 Indonesians, 4 Malaysians,[18] and 2 Britons.[19][20][21] Home countries arranged to evacuate their citizens and quarantine them further in their own countries. As of 1 March, all on board including the crew and the captain had disembarked, and there had been 10 recoveries and at least 6 deaths among those on the ship.[22][19][20][21] As of 3rd March, infections are 706 which includes 6 deaths.

If they cancel the Regionals and Nationals for JO, will they then cancel the Olympics? How could they justify the one and not the other? Especially since the Olympics is international, greater crowds, more people participating, therefore even greater risk.

There is absolutely already talks about canceling olympics. Major difference is that olympics are in the summer and the hope is that we start to get a handle on the situation well before than.

state and regionals are rapidly approaching

There are tiers of ways they could modify it. Maybe rather than cancel it they just say athletes and coaches only, and everyone else has to watch by broadcast, and no big ceremonies. This would cut down on visiting crowds and the extent of local volunteers needed. Still puts lots of people at risk though... just less. In the end if they don’t cancel it will have to be an individual decision for everyone.

I feel really bad for all the athletes who’ve worked so hard, especially in sports like gymnastics where the window of opportunity is short, to have their chance possibly taken away. I know that’s always a possibility on many fronts (injury etc.) that they live with, but this one feels a bit more unjust.

There have been 32 million cases of positive flus in the US this season (you know the “normal” flu), along with 18 thousand deaths. with a vaccine.

That’s 18 thousand flu related deaths in the US this season.
No one blinked.

Yes the media is part of the problem.
Wait and see. This is going to be extraordinarily disruptive even though it will kill fewer people than the flu.

The Olympics are run by a totally different organization as you know. Decision-making for the Olympics will have nothing to do with something as dinky as nationals for one sport in one country.

alright coaches; have you heard from your state/regional chairs regarding possibility of state/regional/nationals being cancelled due to the continued coronavirus outbreak? especially troublesome given:

Norcal State: california bay area
Region 1 Regionals: california bay area
Westerns: Sacramento area
Nationals: Tacoma Washington

These locations all potential coronavirus outbreak hotspots.

Look at all the conferences that are being cancelled. I am actually shocked that Gymnix is going on as planned with gymnasts coming from Europe. There will be widespread effects from this that will undoubtedly result in many many events being cancelled. That doesn't mean everyone is going to die, but I wouldn't plan on all everything just going on business as usual this spring. Schools will close, people will telecommute, mass gatherings will be postponed. It is already happening on the west coast and internationally.

Chicago state U just canceled their upcoming basketball games and friends in Oregon say they are stating to get cancellation notices for children's events they had already registered and paid for. I'm going to feel very lucky if our regionals goes ahead as planned. Which is probably selfish and/or foolhardy of me, but since I don't make the decisions I don't have to feel too bad about it. :D

I strongly suspect the various Texas state championships will go ahead, because the general attitude in Texas is, "We do what we want!"

That cruise ship situation is slightly skewed as many passengers are older than 65. 6/706 is 0.8% which is probably comparable to flu fatality rate in that age demographics
.8 if every sick passenger was over the age of 65 which I doubt. But honestly , when has anyone heard of so many people dropping dead on a cruise ship from the flu? Bottom line is this thing is nasty and I don’t want my older friends To check out early. From
It , if we can avoid it

Also, can someone explain the toilet paper and water frenzy? Of all the things I'd think to stockpile in an epidemic, those would not be among them. (Even Wuhan still has water and electricity...)

The toilet paper I get, if home quarantine were implemented like in parts of China that is not something I would want to run out of, but the water makes no sense, why would water stop coming out of the taps?

Hey, I remember when H1N1 hit our area like a bomb. Sure, it was "just flu," but like this bug, no one had encountered it before. It went through our elementary/secondary school district so fast that people didn't even realize what was happening until we were in the middle of it. All three of my offspring got it -- it presented as a significant illness with high fevers and a lot of discomfort but only lasted a few days. They were all fine, but by the end of the week I think the elementary school they attended had about 60% of the kids out. No big deal. Except for the family of the kindergartener who died from it.

Panic is bad but prudence is totally warranted. I have two older colleagues with chronic illnesses. When it gets here, I hope we shut the place down for a little while.

Panic is bad but prudence is totally warranted.

This.

Husbands company has 2 meetings next week. 1 is on, board of directors meeting. Most folks local. Team meetings mostly about getting folks from 15 major US ports together for a face to face, postponed. They are putting plans in place if they have to work from home. Thinking of having different folks come into the office on different days to limit everyone's travel, on trains, buses and subways as that how most folks commute to NYC. Limit exposure to each other etc......

My FIL(2 weeks post op from valve replacement), in their upper 80s. We will keep our visits to phone calls for now. Will I be shaking hands in church? No, I never do during cold and flu season.

These things are prudent.

Will I still eat in/take out as per our usual schedule. Yes, including our local Italian and Chinese restaurants.

Hey, I remember when H1N1 hit our area like a bomb. Sure, it was "just flu," but like this bug, no one had encountered it before. It went through our elementary/secondary school district so fast that people didn't even realize what was happening until we were in the middle of it. All three of my offspring got it -- it presented as a significant illness with high fevers and a lot of discomfort but only lasted a few days. They were all fine, but by the end of the week I think the elementary school they attended had about 60% of the kids out. No big deal. Except for the family of the kindergartener who died from it.

Panic is bad but prudence is totally warranted. I have two older colleagues with chronic illnesses. When it gets here, I hope we shut the place down for a little while.
Exactly, it's just a number until it's someone you know or love. Also, the Flu Kills X number of people each year, and that number will be about the same this year, however if this virus takes off then you will need to ADD to that recurring number, because this is extra. So anything we can do to lessen the effects great... but it's here. Last week a 12 year old boy (perfectly healthy) died at home in bed. He was a friend of one of our parent/coach and he was friends with the two daughters in our gym. He went to bed with a fever, parents gave him Tylenol...... sad and an eye opener...

Also, can someone explain the toilet paper and water frenzy? Of all the things I'd think to stockpile in an epidemic, those would not be among them. (Even Wuhan still has water and electricity...)
People are preparing to be quarantined and/or locked in place if govt or municipalities restrict that to contain the spread of the virus. If you’re home bound for a long period of time without the ability to leave or have things delivered, you need those staples.

The death rate is Absolutely higher than the flu... Unless you don't count dead elderly people as people.
[/QUOTE]

Of course the elderly are people. If they weren't counted there would be closer to 0% mortality.

I work in healthcare. It is a fact that flus in general causing death are typically elderly and in people with underlying health conditions. That is not making light of death in the elderly or the situation. Any death is serious. It is simply reality.

And the mortality rate for the COVID 19 will absolutely go down. The more you test, the more positives you will find. Before testing started the only cases counted where the serious and fatal one.

The folks in my hospitals ICU on ventilators are typically not young and healthy. Most are elderly.
I can not think of one person in our ICU this season with flu complications under 65. And those under 80 usually have underlying health issues. They are not just "older". And us healthcare folks we remember the atypical. Last young person in the ICU on a vent at my hospital was a suicide attempt by carbon monoxide poisoning. The younger, otherwise physically healthy ones are typically ODs,MVAs or crime related.

I have an aunt nearly 90, she had a heart transplant nearly 30 years ago. She still drives. I love her dearly and will miss her greatly when her time comes no matter how she goes. I have canceled visits to her through the years when someone in our family is not well. At this time I am telling her, to limit her trips out and about. But I do that every flu season. I am scheduled to visit over Easter, depending on how things are I will likely postpone that trip. That is prudent.

@Deleted member 18037 - I'm confused. Someone starts a thread asking a legit question if anyone has knowledge about the post-season meets that are scheduled in areas of the country seeing covid-19 outbreaks. You respond back initially with snarky comments about flu deaths and overblown media coverage. Then you respond later explaining about being 'prudent'. Turns out you have a much more reasonable explanation that doesn't all center around snark and you ARE changing your behaviors in your real life regarding visits to elderly family. It's also impacting your husband's life too. Why come on here and smack down someone for asking a question in the first place?

My DD is injured so her season is over. I must admit that I'm selfishly relieved that travel to Regionals and Westerns is off the table. I'm not panicked about covid-19 but my brain would be swirling with all the 'what ifs' (kid is sick, coach is sick, grandparents sick, i'm sick, meet gets cancelled, outbreak is really, really bad in host city, etc, etc). Most of us think about these things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back