WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like if people don’t sit tight over spring break - and they probably won’t - things will really break loose. Just a sense of foreboding that I have...

So here's a question - Why can't we do virtual judging? Have the kids perform in their own gyms and get scores, etc... so they qualify for things like nationals/regionals etc... Seems to me we have a lot of technology available to us that we could use to at least not destroy the season altogether.

Or let them qualify with 1 or 2 qualifying scores from invitationals during the season?

I'm hoping this is how Nationals works for Acro, because I see things getting canceled here pretty quickly. MAYBE we'll be able to have regionals in May, but I expect Vegas Acro Cup (also state for us) in April being iffy.

Maybe some remote part of North Dakota in a barn, far from any city.....;)

I hope by that time, it would have died down somewhat.......like the H1N1 or SARS pandemic, they fizzled out by summer

I could arrange that...I have connections :) Just know there are also no airports or hotels nearby.....or in some cases, paved roads... lol!

Seriously though, there are just going to be a lot of disruptions to our American lives over the next few weeks to months. We are waiting to see if my dd's college will be added to the list of universities shutting down for the Spring. My other child's wedding invitations just went out last weekend... And these are just disappointing things....there are many people who will be affected far more than this- people out of work, people with huge medical bills, loved ones dying, families that will really struggle if public schools shut down. Some of us will just be inconvenienced and disappointed, for others this is going to be devastating.

The NBA just suspended their season because one of the Jazz players tested positive. So much for the backup plan of playing games without an audience.

USA Gymnastics-Massachusetts
58 mins ·
Good evening,
I am writing tonight to let you know what we, as a committee, have decided relative to the upcoming Level 4 State Championship as well as the XP State Cup as both HCC and FHS have canceled all future events. We feel that with how rapidly the situation in our state is changing, and still so much unknown, our only option is to postpone both the Level 4 State Championships and XP State Cup to the weekend of May 2-3. While we understand the disappointment that comes with this, we feel strongly that it is unfair to jeopardize the health of our athletes, coaches, judges, and their families by disregarding the recommendations of the CDC. This decision was not taken lightly, and there have been many conference calls locally, regionally, and nationally to come to this conclusion.
At this point, nothing has been decided with regards to state meets beyond March 22, 2020, so we appreciate your patience as information comes in that we are able to communicate. We promise, that as soon as we have information that can be passed along, it will be.
We will be in communication with all of our clubs in the near future to discuss everyone’s options for May. At this time, we feel confident that this is the right decision for everyone involved, although we are heartbroken by it.
Michele Archer
USA Gymnastics-Massachusetts
State Administrative Committee Chairman

I think USAG should secure another location in a low risk state for Easterns/Westerns and Nationals right away. There is still time to do that. They can spray down all equipment as well as audience stands frequently during the meet with Lysol. Put out hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Perhaps older grandparents should not be attending. Worst case scenarios, they can postpond it. But cancelling it completely would be totally devastating to many gymnasts.
SO people can flood in with all their germs? No way. That totally defeats the point of what folks are trying to do to contain this mess.

So here's a question - Why can't we do virtual judging? Have the kids perform in their own gyms and get scores, etc... so they qualify for things like nationals/regionals etc... Seems to me we have a lot of technology available to us that we could use to at least not destroy the season altogether.
Or we can recognize for 99%, this is just gymnastics and let it go for this year.

Agreed. There are much greater sacrifices and losses happening (including my 401k) - in the big picture, this isn’t that big of a deal. I would just like USAG to weigh in and call it off at this point. I mean, we are banning travel to/from Europe, cancelling NBA games, March madness without fans. These are extraordinary times

Or we can recognize for 99%, this is just gymnastics and let it go for this year.

It is not just gymnastics, for some it is their livelihoods. There are gyms that have fronted tens of thousands of dollars to host post season meets, and businesses may not survive. We may get to the point of needing to cancel, but it is more than just gymnastics.
It's all of our livelihoods. Literally. It is time to pull the plug on all group events. Watch the infection number grow within the next 30-60 days to 75% of the country. We screwed this up nationally.

Its just like the Flu guys, come on.. we always cancel the NBA and stop flights from Europe... geez.... what's the all the fuss. I mean worst case... oh wait we won't go there, second worse case you end up in the hospital begging for a ventilator that they don't have, third worst case you just get the Flu and get an unpaid 3 to 4 week vacation from earning money. stop over reacting.... :confused:

Its just like the Flu guys, come on.. we always cancel the NBA and stop flights from Europe... geez.... what's the all the fuss. I mean worst case... oh wait we won't go there, second worse case you end up in the hospital begging for a ventilator that they don't have, third worst case you just get the Flu and get an unpaid 3 to 4 week vacation from earning money. stop over reacting.... :confused:
But wait, my level 4 state meet is really important because my kid worked really hard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back