Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Everyone,

A few years ago, I was the highest level gymnast on my team. My confidence was skyrocketing everyday, and I was fearless. I'm not that girl anymore.
I'm afraid of almost any dangerous skill, even before I've tried it. I immediately think of the way I could possibly hurt myself, and even if I can't think of anything drastic, I panic.
For the longest time I haven't been able to figure out how all these fears accumulated. I've watched many teammates pass me in levels and by skill difficulty, bringing my confidence and ability to progress very low.
Last night I was searching the web on ways to get over gymnastics fears, especially one so severe as mine, and I came across an article by a sports psychologist who explained how gymnasts fears can be more complex than a fear related to anything else.
Basically, any motivational speeches, threats, punishments or rewards used to try to get a gymnast out of this trance is almost completely unlikely to work. When I read this part, I knew I had to continue reading. Because it's completely true, and none of my coaches and teammates understand that.
The psychologist explained that what I have is PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. It is caused by one, or multiple, traumatic experiences that could relate to what you're afraid of.
At first, I was skeptical. Ive never had a real traumatic experience in the gym, atleast not one that would cause me to be afraid of...well, just about everything.
Even skills Ive had before, like vaulting on the table without a spot and round-off back handsprings on the floor, I'm not afraid of.
But then I continued on in the article, and discovered that this disorder can be caused by traumatic experiences that occured OUTSIDE of the gym as well. Even if the gymnast doesn't know it relates to what happens inside the gym. That's when I knew it was true.
Even small "scary" incidents can pile up to make the disorder, your fears, stronger.
A few years ago, I wanted to show my family my round-off back handspring in the yard. After my round off, I fell back onto my back and it made it difficult to breathe. I was able to stand up and shake it off, but now, 2 years later, it's still "haunting" me.
Last summer, on my friends trampoline, she forgot to close the door to the net. After my front tuck, I flew out the door head first, and had I not put my hands down, I could have landed on the concrete and died.
Smaller things have happened, but I wont go into detail. Like I said before, the small things pile up.
Now, I'm not just informing you of this to share. I want to know if any of you have, or still have, PTSD? If so, how do you cope and how can you heal yourself of it?
At the end of the article, the psychologist says that if you close your eyes and move all the main muscles in your body, becoming aware of your control, and make noise in both ears, your fear should lessen or in some cases be completely eliminated.
I haven't been able to test this yet, but when I do I'll let you all know how it goes.
I cant wait to hear from all of you, I hope someone can help me work through this. Or atleast tell me something else about it I don't know.

Thank you so much!

The only way you can resolve this issue is to visit a mental health professional. There is no way to diagnose PTSD over the internet. I believe that certain experiences in gymnastics COULD lead to this, and I believe I've seen it, but it's not the ONLY explanation for what you describe. If you were to have PTSD, what you describe doing (closing your eyes and such) is certainly not an effective treatment in itself. You would need comprehensive treatment from a mental health professional. I am, however, in no way suggesting that I think you have PTSD. From what you've written, my guess is that you could use help from a psychologist for anxiety though.

I realize that the closing your eyes thing won't cure it, the psychologist just mentioned it can release some of the stress of your fear. The only way to ACTUALLY resolve the issue is to face your fears and just do what you're afraid of over and over. The "closing your eyes thing" is a way to relax yourself and possibly bring up the courage to attempt the skill.

The last part is REALLY interesting..
I dont think I have PTSD, but i am sure like most gymnast.. I do get scared, and nervous, but over time and work I overcome those things.

Something that helps me when you are learning a new skill and think of something "bad" that could happen...
For example: You are learning a back tuck on beam, and you think, "Im not gonna go high enough, and I could fall on my neck" As soon as the thought pops in your head, make a loud buzzing sound to block it out (Not out loud, in your mind)
"Im not going to go...BBBBEEEEEEPPP" and just keep "Buzzing" before long.. The thought is gone, and you can go for it.

And apparently, there is this counseling where they alternate touching the left and right side of your body, while looking at pictures and wipes your fear out of your mind... Pretty crazy!

Good luck... :)
I know how frustrating fear is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back