Power Phases!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

a few months back my coach gave my squad (level 5-7) a booklet with a whole lot of helpful things from nutrition to something called power phases.

power phases are basically a word or phase that you say to yourself before a routine or skill to 'pump you up' and prepare you for it.

it talked about saying your phase/word before each skill or routine [a difficult tumbling pass, a scary/tricky skill, somewhere you need to squeeze/point your toes etc] in training and so it comes naturally in comp.

i now have several and am just curious about weather or not other people have them, what they are and what they are for?

mine are:
my vault [handspring full]: power, speed, pop
floor, handspring front layout(full): agression
bar routine: legs
beam [walkovers, leaps]: core

Not quite the same, but ever since I dislocated my thumb on vault, every time I approach the vault now I'm mentally screaming 'HANDS FLAT HANDS FLAT HANDS FLAT!!!' :)

Those sound pretty good! I might add "chest up" on leaps for beam and "presentation/confidence" for beam and floor. I need to think of cue words for my routines this year. :)

Our coach has us do this all the way through our beam routines, especially to help with focus for the younger kids and me with my beam-meet nerves. For me personally, it actually works better sometimes if I think about the feeling of the skill instead of words, but I do both.
Vault: knees up on run, up and over
Bars: quick, arms straight, legs squeezed
Beam: reach up and slow (on back walkover), knee up and on toe (full turn)
Floor: run hard, on toes, squeeze, reach (tumbling)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back