Practice Cancelled because of Heat?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They were back at practice this afternoon. All the parents were talking about hot it was (as we stood in lobby with A/C), but I heard several of the girls leaving say "It really didn't feel that hot." Oh, to be young and energetic.

No AC in our gym either and the heat indexes were between 110 and 115 all last week. (There is AC in the lobby & preschool gym however.) For my daughter's team practice in the morning, the girls take extra water breaks and they had panel mats set up like benches in front of the big fans and every 15 or 20 minutes the girls were instructed to go sit in front of them. One paticularly hot morning the coaches ended practice early and took the girls outside and sprayed them down with the hose and had them play in the sprinkler. The girls loved it!

For my son's classes in the evenings, there were extra water breaks and the lesson plans were modified to make them more fun. A lot more games and trampoline were done this last week. He still had fun, but you could tell the heat was tiring. I had to laugh that by the end of his tramp & tumbling class, my son was laying spread eagle on the floor watching his coach's directions. He normally would NEVER do that. And the gym handed out ice pops to everybody after each practice and class.

Ha! They don't cancel ANYTHING for any reason and one day someone will get hurt.. snow.. heat.. They say if it's over a 100 in the middle of the gym they will stop.. but I've heard it be 101 and they keep going. Last week was brutal and about half the girls were at practice, my dd lvl 7 team has 18 girls and only 4 showed up. They do have fans, lots of drink breaks and they take it easy but to me it seems a make up day on a cooler day would result in better work. I always joke we are moving to the gym with ac :)

Oh wow, no, we never cancel practice for heat. This last week it has been about 105 (F) every day, and very humid, and we still have our regular practice hours. They did move a group with afternoon practice to the morning because it is a little cooler then. We do not have AC, just several large fans.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back