Press Handstands and Rope Climbs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I seriously dont think that 8 to 9 is too old either. My daughter did not even start gymnastics till she was 8. She is now 10ys old and is traing level 7. Her new mount on beam will be a press.

I definitely think there is a "too old" to learn presses...maybe not for everyone but for a lot of people. I started working on press handstands at age 13 or 14 and I'll probably never get it. I have okay straddle flexibility (can do a flat pancake stretch on some days) and handstand holds (>30 sec on a good day), and I can do a good reverse press from handstand back to clear straddle hold. It just seems impossible from here. Watching the 7-year-old level 4s get theirs...it definitely seems like an age/height/weight issue.

Being able to "pancake" is nice, but you really need to have pike flexibility so that your straddle can stay "compressed" and close to your body. If you feel your low back start to extend or arch, it's all over. Try compessing into a rounded back position as you begin to tip your lower back upward (don't think hips), maintain the compression until you have your lower back up to the handstand position. Once there, slowly open up your hip angle while staying rounded in your lower back. This is a skill that relies more on core/abdominal strength and hamstring flexibility than it does on shoulder strength or straddle splits.

Sure, learning them at a young age is great... and they will keep the skill and polish it as they grow. The same is true with any skill that can be safely taught to a pre 7yo gymnast. I would have to classify the "by age of 6" claim as either an urban legend, or a point of view taken while wearing a "Future USA Team member" set of goggles.

I hope there is not a "too old for presses" age! My oldest is determined to get hers and she is 11. My youngest started working them when she was 7 and got them fairly quickly, much to the frustration of my 11 year old.

ds joined pre team age 7 (old for his gym) learned presses in about 2 - 3 weeks both pike and straddle (and tuck planche and russian? the lever with legs to face?) - skinny and insanely strong!
dd joined pre team age 9 and learned presses at age 14!! she got kicked out of pre team at 10 for fear issues on going backward. joined again aged 12!! - chunkier and more scared of everything!
it can be done.....

I'm 35 and hope to pull it off as a goal to get into better shape. DD's coaches laugh at me and tell me it's not possible.

well...press hands are way safer than round off back handsprings and the like that usually gets posted up by weekendwannabewarriors...:)

well...press hands are way safer than round off back handsprings and the like that usually gets posted up by weekendwannabewarriors...:)

Fear not, I'm not trying to do gymnastics, just get into better shape. Walking on my hands is fun and seems to be pretty good exercise. A press handstand seems like a good stretch goal for core strength.

Fear not, I'm not trying to do gymnastics, just get into better shape. Walking on my hands is fun and seems to be pretty good exercise. A press handstand seems like a good stretch goal for core strength.

I was able to learn to press from a standing straddle at 26 while trying to improve my strength...but have never come close to a real press hs. It was fun to be able to play around with it though!

I've been working with my pre-team kids on presses. Watching YouTube tops testing they make it look so easy, but wow, I have a feeling this is going to be a long process! But of course, everyone in gymnasts is...

Whew! Whatta relief to hear that you aren't trying to do gymnastics. There are so many other activities that are way safer for adults...like "gator" wrestling, and arrow catching. Check the USAG web site if you change your mind and do want to give it a "whirl". I think they added a section governing parental unit participation in the sport that requires you to pass a sanity test, provide a permission note from your child and wife, and of course a membership fee........:rolleyes:

Whew! Whatta relief to hear that you aren't trying to do gymnastics. There are so many other activities that are way safer for adults...like "gator" wrestling, and arrow catching. Check the USAG web site if you change your mind and do want to give it a "whirl". I think they added a section governing parental unit participation in the sport that requires you to pass a sanity test, provide a permission note from your child and wife, and of course a membership fee........:rolleyes:
I think it would be a lot of fun, however, there's insufficient room in my schedule. I go to an adult open gym that has coaches around from time to time. I've managed to learn a standing back tuck and to walk on my hands once across the floor without coming down. I cant do a cartwheel, so a RO-BHS is not in my future.

My daughter is a level 5 and at her gym I have seen the little tiny rec kids climbing the ropes and I have seen the optional team climbing but I have not seen her level do it. She says they only do it for a punishment. I know she can do it b/c they would do it at her old gym from time to time but not very often. They work presses every day. Should I be concerned about this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back