Parents Preventing soreness.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aussiebug

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My DD has just started team gymnastics, shes level one from when she badge tested in rec- im not sure how that translates to team though.

Any way shes starting to learn more skills and one in particular is causing some day after muscle soreness right under her ribs. Its a bridge and then she kicks over to stand. She needs a lot of help with going over, but the bridge is strong. Is there any way that I can help her from getting sore, or to at least manage it? Shes been using an anti-inflammatory gel and rubbing it on a few times a day - is that ok?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

She is probably just using muscles she isn't used to using. I bet the soreness will subside soon. My daughter just got moved from Level 3 to Level 4, almost doubling her time at the gym, and she was pretty sore the first week or so.

I am pretty sure that there is never a time when DD isn't at least a little sore, and during times when hours increase or they're learning new skills, she gets really sore. DD has some bubble bath that's supposed to be specially formulated to help soothe sore muscles (I'm sure it's mostly the hot bath, but I figure there is probably also a placebo affect, so I keep buying the stuff) and I will give her an ibuprophen if she's sore to the point where she can't sleep.

My other DD is taking pointe prep and they just got their "demi pointe" shoes and she has started coming home with blisters. I joked that "pointe prep" is just to help her prepare for how much her feet will hurt when she goes on pointe and she said, "Yes, our teacher said that that's part of it." Anyway, think about your DD's soreness as "team prep." If she sticks with gymnastics, she will just be sore a lot. Do whatever helps her, mentally and physically (rubs, baths, heating pads, ibuprophen, whatever) but also prepare her for the fact that this is part of the package.

It's also a good time to start talking to her about the difference between being sore and actually having hurt herself. I think that, because gymnasts get so used to pushing through muscle soreness, they often will push through other things that they shouldn't.

DD's abs were once so sore that the teachers at school noticed and asked questions that seemed to be trying to determine whether we were hitting her.

Soreness is just par for the course when your muscles are constantly being trained. You can do an alternating cold and hot regimen, an epsom salt bath or some gentle massage but for the most part it is just going to come and go. My daughter has just gotten to the point where unless it is really bad she just deals with it LOL. I do have her do a lightwarm up and a very light stretch on days off if she is particularly sore.

great answer! yes, it's a gymnasts life, you will just get used to the ache and pains for the love of the sport!
work.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back