Coaches Priorities for leisure centre program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MissBear

Coach
Gymnast
I was around a couple of years ago but disappeared for a while. I was looking around on the internet and figured what I really wanted was to ask other coaches what they thought. So here I am back!

I'm looking for advice on prioritising equipment for purchasing, and also on using the things I have in new ways.

About a year ago I took over a set up, pull down gymnastics program run out of a leisure centre. We have rec classes from 4-15 years, and have a development class beginning in september. The development class will be working for Grade 14 next spring and level 5 in the autumn.

I have all competition equipment except a vault, which isn't really a problem. I have a couple of trampettes, 3 benches, a horse vault, a box vault and some carpet squares.

My absolute first priorities are bean bags and skipping ropes. I'd also really like some panel mats, but I'm unsure as to what size. I definitely need wedges, and I'm tempted by the very large ones so that I can also teach flics and handsprings down them, but I'm not sure whether I should stick with the smaller, cheaper ones.

My floor is not sprung and I don't have access to a trampoline, so I'm looking at either a traditional Air track or the smaller, firmer ones that don't need a constant pump flow - Continental call theirs an AirSpring mat, Tracks2000 call it AirFloor. The maximum skill level would be up to back tucks, maybe handspring front pike, so nothing particularly high.

On my wish list are also various types of floor beams, paralettes, and eventually a single low bar.

Does anyone have experience with these products? Is there anything else you use in your gym you consider an essential?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm in a similar position to you, coaching in a "pop up gym" and have also just set up a development group to work towards grade 14 -nice to know I'm not the only one training girls for grade 14 in a non-purpose built gym!!

As for the wedges I'd be tempted to go for the bigger ones. We don't have wedges so use springboards with a small panel mat on top to make a small wedge. Large ones would be so useful for flicks etc as you said.

We also don't have a sprung floor so have an "air track" however I'm not sure of exact model, but it doesn't require a constant air flow, is quite thick but doesn't have ridges like some of the air tracks I've seen. It is great for getting the kids confidence up and learning new skills but I'm not sure how well the skills then transfer to floor. I still do a bit of gymnastics myself and you do get a lot of height from it so can do skills you may not have the strength to do on floor. I also find myself altering my technique to adapt to the super bounciness. Obviously they're the next best thing to a sprung floor but I'd recommend going for a air track that's as compact/firm as possible.

For the rec kids I'd definitely recommend a couple of floor beams- makes a great side station while waiting for goes. Would also recommend getting some elastics/therabands (primark were selling a pack of two for £4). May also be worth getting some floor bars as they also work as a good side station.

Out of interest how many hours a week are your development class doing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back