Parents Process for moving up a level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As to how our gym works, it actually varies a little every year, lol.
THIS year, the highest rec level girls were evaluated last week (and will continue this week) on each event. Those who are ready to move to team will be invited to move up to team starting next month. There will be a parent meeting in the next couple weeks to introduce the parents to "team" ... where they learn about time and financial commitments and get to see current L3s demonstrate the routines (They watch 2 on each event... one that scores in the 9s and one that doesnt).
The girls can choose to stay in rec or try team. In August, they confirm their commitment or change it.
Already on team, move ups are based on skill development over the summer (and meeting minimum scores during the season.

To move from rec to team, a child must make it to the highest rec level and then once they are there, every January, the rec girls are tested on strength, flexibility, and skills and placed into a team level. Maybe level 1,2 or even 3. Or maybe Xcel. But they won’t actually start training as team until the beginning of summer. They find out in March I believe.
To move up a level once you are in team: again, they are tested on strength, flexibility, and skills, then before the summer they are given the level they will be training in starting in the summer. I think Meet scores matter too.
I have heard, but don’t know for sure because this was my daughters first year on team, but I hear that they can still move up at the of the end of summer. But if someone can’t get a skill by the end of the summer, maybe they will be asked to repeat a level or maybe they get all the skills they need and skip a level.
We are new as my daughter just finished her first competition year so some things are still a mystery to me.

Hello! Curious to hear the process at other gyms for making the team (moving up from Pre-team to whatever first level competes) or moving up a level. Ours is a really formal testing process and only available once a year (happens right after the end of a season). You have to have mastered each skill for that next level to move up and it’s months before the season or you repeat. Is that typical?
I think it’s a lot to expect they have mastered all the skills so soon. They still have all summer to train and get skills. I think my gym wants the girls to have MOST of the next level skills since uptraining happens all year, but if they are missing a few at the end of Meet season it doesn’t hold them back because they will be training on those new skills all summer.

Our compulsories are given a summer training group. Then about two weeks before the end of summer training they are given new registration forms to complete and their level for the upcoming year. They compete that level for the season until championships and then those who have most of their skills for the next level are moved up and compete that level for the meets after championships. I believe their is a gym requirement of getting 36AA or higher at least twice at their level before being allowed to move up. (I mistakenly thought his was 38 before)

So my DD competed JO1 last year, trained JO2 last summer, competed JO2 this season, and is competing JO3 for the rest of the season and will train JO3 for summer and compete JO3 until after next championships and then will compete JO4 if she has most of the skills. I know our gym does allow girls to compete next level up even if they are missing a couple skills. We have JO2s who compete bars without a stride/mill circle, and my DD will be competing JO3 for the next two months without her back handspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back