progressing to quick? :/

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

Had a good day at gym today despite the splitting of the beam, and bashing my thigh on the beam i just got up and walked away everyone was like :eek: does this kid have feelings haha. im buggered, did lots of stretches, tramp work, beam work oh and apparently i'm not supposed to do full handstands on the beam anymore because i won't need them for a few yrs? i admit one of my legs hits the other leg it doesnt go side by side, but im getting more consistent with them and i love doing them but my coach asked how are your 3/4 handstands going because you won't need a full handstand for a couple of yrs like :0 im bummed i thought i was doing good on them :/ but maybe i am progressing to quick on beam i mean i have level 2/3 floor, level 2 and 3 vault considering they are the same here (level 4 vault in usa), level 2 bars (with spot), but then i have like level 4/5 beam? :/
thanks for listening :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is normal for gymnasts to progress at different paces on all four apparatus. Your coach is probably just looking out for you well-being (risk for injury, etc.)

But if you ever truly feel like you are being held back even though your skills are progressing, it wouldn't hurt to have a heart to heart with the coach about it. There may just be some nit-picky things they want you to work on before the next level.

All in all, it sounds like you are doing great! I think it is awesome that you got your handstand on beam! =)

Heyy Jess,
I am a T&T member, and also do some artistic. Right now, I am doing things at Elite level on trampoline, but I am 2 levels from elite. I talked to my coach, and she said she will train me this summer to skip 2 levels to be elite. Then try out for the National Team. Talk to your coach. Sometimes they hold you back and if you are far enough in all events, they will skip you a level. I've skipped a level 2X in T&T and this is my 2nd season.

thanks, that's the thing im not far enough on all 4 events im around level 2/3 on everything else i will probably compete level 2 bars, 3 vault, 3 beam and 3 floor at the end of yr club champs and i'm fine with that but i like all kids like to work on skills higher than my level and it's cool when i master them :) but i kinda have to realize i need to work more on things that are at my level :/

I think a lot of times people will get the beam skills before the other ones at the lower/medium levels, and floor skills as well. Like lots of girls who just finished competing level 5 already have their back handspring on beam, but they can barely do cast to horizontal on bars, can't do clear hips, can sometimes do round off-BHS-back tuck. They'll just uptrain beam for a while. You can just work on whatever skills remain challenging, and if you don't compete the hardest skills you have on beam, you can still train them.

P.S. good job on the fall! ;) I had a bad fall on beam the other day doing...drumroll, please...a split leap! I've only done, ya know, 200,000 of those...and I went a little off balance trying to go full split and wound up slamming my chin and thigh into the beam. I have a big ol scar down my thigh now! I got up a little teary, sat on the ground a couple minutes hoping I didn't break my nose, and then got up and did some more leaps...

HAHA THANKYOUUUUUUUUUUUUU, and yeah ahah oh i had many falls yesterday it was just soooo hot haha :p

Hi Jess,

First off, almost all gymnasts progress faster on certain apparatus and slower on others. many have an apparatus which they struggle on and it holds them back. There is nothing wrong with doing more advanced skills on the apparatus you are better at and working more on the basics on the apparatus that you struggle on. It's a good way to work as a gymnast.

Try not to focus on skills that you "need" and "don't need". The levels system is just a system of levels, it is not what gymnastics is about. Don't look at gymnastics as learning the levels and mastering the levels. Look at gymnastics as learning the skills and mastering the skills. If you are ready for something more advanced than your "level" it does not matter, go for it.

It seems very odd that your coach would want to know how your 3/4 handstands are if you are working full handstands, also that he/she is asking you to work 3/4 handstands instead of full handstands. The 3/4 handstand is really just a full handstand that isn't quite there yet. In a competition if they ask for a 3/4 handstand and you do a full handstand you don't lose points. Any level 2's and 3's who can do a full handstand will do that instead of their 3/4 in a competition.

It is true that most kids want to learn harder skills and sometimes they get bored of the basics and yes the basics are very important. But a good training regime should include both working on your current level skills AND uptraining more advanced skills.

Thankyou soooo much aussie coach you are always so helpful, i always thought i would get points deducted :/, i think she asked how my 3/4 handstands were going because she wants us to do them slower and i am more of a power gymnast so full handstands come easier to me than 3/4 :) BUT THANKYOU SOOO SOOOO SOOOO SOOO MUCH :-D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back