WAG Pros and cons of xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a YMCA gymnast, I can tell you that the xcel program is great. I went from level 4 to xcel gold and had a very successful season as a gold. There were two divisions in my state, and this past year I was in the junior division (14 & under). For me, my routines scored higher not only because of my improved tumbling, but I was more relaxed with having my own routine which made me feel less nervous about messing up about one pose or skill. There are no regionals for my Y, but there were nationals. As for the JO part, I haven't seen anyone at my gym do that yet.

Wow - that would be super easy for her to do - and sounds like she could do all her emerging L8 skills and maybe feel less pressure. Her new HC said he's not at all worried about her getting the flipping vault as its coming, and her L8 floor is basically there but the new HC wants her to twist and she lost that when she started having extensive vestibular issues...she has 4 Bs on floor and beam...and a few Cs she'd like to try that they don't want her working on much because shes afraid of her BHSBHS series on high beam that's what they want before she can put in her BT.... and most importantly STILL can't consistantly giant on her own - but she had great L7 bars with scores in the mid 9s because of her other bars skills.

In reality, though, the problem isn't the coaches - they are ready to work with her although won't lower standards too much...she's just not sure she wants to keep going and the stupid giants are once again such an issue she's not training with her group anymore and really hates being in the gym...no fun if all you get to do is work the skill you haven't gotten for 4 years, and she no longer hears all the good things the coaches say about everything else...

Glad to know there are options out there that would help others like her still enjoy gym!

Wow - that would be super easy for her to do - and sounds like she could do all her emerging L8 skills and maybe feel less pressure. Her new HC said he's not at all worried about her getting the flipping vault as its coming, and her L8 floor is basically there but the new HC wants her to twist and she lost that when she started having extensive vestibular issues...she has 4 Bs on floor and beam...and a few Cs she'd like to try that they don't want her working on much because shes afraid of her BHSBHS series on high beam that's what they want before she can put in her BT.... and most importantly STILL can't consistantly giant on her own - but she had great L7 bars with scores in the mid 9s because of her other bars skills.

In reality, though, the problem isn't the coaches - they are ready to work with her although won't lower standards too much...she's just not sure she wants to keep going and the stupid giants are once again such an issue she's not training with her group anymore and really hates being in the gym...no fun if all you get to do is work the skill you haven't gotten for 4 years, and she no longer hears all the good things the coaches say about everything else...

Glad to know there are options out there that would help others like her still enjoy gym!
My YG, age 10, made the switch to Xcel Gold last season from L3. She had done two years at old L4 and a year of new L3 and still wasn't ready for L4. She had her best season EVER! She was able to do her own routines with higher level skills that she had (FHS-stepout-RO, FHS vault, RO beam dismount, jump to high bar), and she didn't have to compete a middle circle or a beam cartwheel or a kip, lol.

My DD went from JO 1-5 to Xcel gold back to JO 6-7...and may end up back in Xcel Diamond at some point. :)
So you can go back and forth. Xcel is less hours, has meets up to Regional level, and allows you to have your own routines earlier. It also lets you avoid skills if they are a particular problem, like going backwards on beam or something like that.

My DD went from JO 1-5 to Xcel gold back to JO 6-7...and may end up back in Xcel Diamond at some point. :)
So you can go back and forth. Xcel is less hours, has meets up to Regional level, and allows you to have your own routines earlier. It also lets you avoid skills if they are a particular problem, like going backwards on beam or something like that.

Was it hard for her to transition back to JO after Xcel?
We are thinking of switching DD to XG for this season. She did L4 last season, but is not ready for 5 because of her back injury. So, we are thinking to do Gold this season, and hopefully switch back to JO 5/6 next year. But with Xcel hours (5 - 7.5 a week) is that even possible?

We are thinking of switching DD to XG for this season. She did L4 last season, but is not ready for 5 because of her back injury. So, we are thinking to do Gold this season, and hopefully switch back to JO 5/6 next year. But with Xcel hours (5 - 7.5 a week) is that even possible?
My DD did about 12 hours a week as a gold. So a little more than your DD's Xcel hours would be. She did struggle in old 6 a bit but then she did new 6 and had a great season. Also had a very good season as a 7 last year. I think a year of gold would be great for your DD as long as she is working new skills and maybe competing some of them. Gold can be really watered down at its minimum so if you are wanting her to switch back you just need to make sure she is uptraining a bit :)
Good luck to her!

It would be a great option for her. She can compete MOST of her L5 skills... leaving out the stuff that affects her back (beam BWO, for example). At the same time, she can be training L6/7 skills and put some of them in her routines :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back