Parents Proud mom sharing and advice needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thank you for putting it into perspective like you just did. Yes you are correct, it is very hard as a new comer to put it into consideration in the context the criticism was being offered which was from a caring place..I now get that, and have had some nice people reach out to me ..BUT being really new to the board and new to the sport, some posts well a couple in particular didn't strike me that way and I found it to be very unfriendly and arrogant. ..and most likely rightfully so, I'm sure they are awesome...but some comments I didn't deem necessary. As a new comer, it came off as unfriendliness. I already know my child needs work she 5 for goodness sake..this is just the beginning for her lol

that's correct, mom. "this is just the beginning". the attrition rate in our sport is 80% at 8th grade. and it isn't because girls find boys, clothes, etc;

a sincere warning...slow down tricks and do basics, conditioning, rope climb, flexibility and handstands. and in all their iterations.

and it looks that the floor she's on is a cheer floor. not a spring floor. i come from an era when there were no spring floors, rod floors, air mats, etc; and i somewhat pay the price for that today. and it's not because my coaches had me doing back tucks at 5.

for the video, her movement pattern and body positions are all wrong. and the coach is spotting her incorrectly as IWC pointed out.

i think the most important hing in all this in that your daughter is a 'gamer'. she's actually going for it. as hard as her little and immature body can go for it.

DON'T (not you...her coaches) take advantage of that personality trait or exploit her willingness. the worst thing that can happen to a kid at this age is pain. like low back pain, jumpers knee (patellar tendonitis), Severs (calcaneal apophysitis) and any "itis" in the elbows and wrists.

these things are cumulative. to much to soon leads to disappointment. and that disappointment will be with your daughter. and then you figuring out how to 'fix' things cause she can't work out to her fullest at 10 years old cause her body is falling apart.

so, please stick around here. you'll learn "stuff". stuff you'll need to know. in what i consider a very open and educational venue. yep, you were put out at the first few posts. i have been responsible for coming on strong and putting parents such as yourself feeling such that you are. but if you only knew who some of us are...and how long we have been coaching...and who we have produced...and all the unintentional mistakes we as coaches made as we were coming up...and the coach in the video is so young. :)

The right gym doesn't have to be one that can train elite, or even one that has a winning L10 team, or even a winning L4 team. Maybe they don't have a team at all and that really might be fine. Perhaps in some cases it might be better. Ideally the gym has coaches who understand child development and coaches who at least honor the recommendations about not introducing skills before the appropriate developmental/skeletal maturity stage. A fun pre-school gym is an added bonus. It is a nice added bonus but you can have a good program without the aesthetics .

Yes!! Love this! But apparently this gym isn't always easy to find...

Gosh, I have been reading through this thread over the last few days and was sure hoping you would chime in Dunno. You, IWC and so many other coaches on this forum have been invaluable to me since DD and I started out on this journey 3 years ago!

Mileyfiveandfabulous, I'm glad to hear you are planning on sticking around. You won't regret it!

Out of curiosity, how many 5 and 6 year olds do have the correct form on RO Bhs? Not that I've seen many, but the young ones all seem to have similar issues with hands turned out and legs not tight together.
Lol, I have seen ONE 6 year old in our meets (including Y Nationals) over the last 6 years that had correct form on her RO-BHS ... of course, the girl scored very high on floor too... 9.5?? ... cant remember if it was 9.575 or 9.525 but it was 5 years ago and she was almost 7 (I talked to her mom while waiting for awards - she was so tiny and adorable that our older girls on team was oohing and ah-ing about her and declared her their favorite even though she was from our biggest rival) and had gone to a lot of camps the previous summer including one at Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy... and she had been going to open gyms on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays for the past year+ (different gyms- only exception was meet days)... and she had 2x weekly privates with her coach. IMHO, it seems like a little much on top of team practice and school, but that's just me.
She took some time off, then switched to a private club in 2012. She is now a L7 and is doing well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back