Parents Puberty - What to expect?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is 10 (training new L4, a slim chance to do L5 next season but that's a whole different story..) and its definitely starting... little tiny signs of breasts.. she started wearing a sports bra for practice and sometimes when she wears a see through shirt..

Anyway. experienced parents - can u share what your DD was going through during that period? Any recommendations (she already has some mood swings based on how well she did at practice so anticipate even more of those..)?

We're sort of in the thick of things still I guess. Actually, I have fraternal twin girls, 12 1/2, and my gymmie is definitely well into things but my dancer is not. About a year and a half ago I was looking at my gymmie thinking "I can't believe she's developing!" and now I'm looking at my dancer and thinking "I can't believe she's not developing!" I guess they all have their own schedule.

From a gymnastics perspective, she went through a rough patch at the beginning of last season, but with the help and understanding of patient coaches, she came through it just fine. I would like to think that we're done with that, but especially since she's been out the last 6 weeks with an injury, and definitely not done growing yet, I am trying to prepare myself for a potentially rough start to her level 8 season as well.

As far as mood swings go, they definitely do "swing." Which isn't all bad. The smallest thing may send her off into a snit, but if I don't make a big deal out of it, it passes as quickly as it started. It's hard to know when to put your foot down about unacceptable behavior and when to just let it go, when you know the storm will pass so much more quickly if you just ignore it!

I think, though my husband would disagree with me, that we are reaching the age where the long hours spent in the gym really can be a good thing. She is active, hanging out in a place where she has constant supervision and great role models, learning discipline and time management, and she doesn't see us enough to get sick of us (much).

After coaching hundreds of kids and more importantly raised two of my own, youngest will be 16 in september. the conclusion is,,,,, they are all different. One of my daughters was NEVER moody and still isn't. the other, well.... she's a bit of a "debbie downer" sometimes. Although 10 is a we bit young to be getting snippy...

Each kids is different, but I would watch out for injuries. It seems like 11 or 12 is the magic age for tendinitis, fractures, pulled muscles and hurt egos. Puberty is very taxing on the body....so is gymnastics....

My 12.5 year old is taking vitamins, especially Vitamin D. Lots of whole food smoothies with any veggie and fruit I can find.

Oh yeah, and ignore the mood swings for the most part. Stay positive and strong and loving!

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back