Parents pull over

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

newmom

Proud Parent
My dd has been trying real hard to do a pull over on the bars. She has practice pull ups and getting her strength. I was watching her at the playground and she was on the rings doing something like a pull over but no bar. She will pull herself up on rings and flip over backwards. I don't know how to describe it except a pull over but no bar to go over. Does that use the same muscle and how could she convert that to the bars?

Yes, that will definitely build her strength for her bars pullover. Be patient though, and don't coach her. She sounds like a hard worker, it will come.

Following as my DD has been working on her pullover but still needs a little bit of help. How long does it usually take to get the pullover?

I'd guess it requires a good deal of core strength, as much as arm/upper body strength). Try it yourself...you'll see that it's your abs that get your legs up and over (or don't, as the case may be :eek::D)

The pullover is harder than it seems. It's a combination of the right strength and technique. It really just has to "click" for them. My Dd took like a year to get hers from first setting foot in the gym.... I have had kids in rec classes who will probably never get their pullover and I have had kids in rec classes who get it on their first try in their first class. Lots of it is muscle-to-mass ratio. If she can pull herself up on rings in a "skin-the-cat" sort of move, she has part of the strength and movement already. It will come, let her coaches work with her and before you know it you will be laughing at yourself for being even the slightest bit concerned about a pullover..! ;) I remember wondering why my kid took sooooo long to get hers. In reality, she went from her first rec class to finishing her first season of L7 in less than 6years (2years-ish in rec, she just started pre-team almost exactly 4yrs ago..!).

How old is she? For younger kids (preschool), the big head (relative to the rest of the body) can be an issue. My dd for a long time could get her legs up and over but then was stuck with her head down and couldn't get it up without someone holding down on the back of her legs.

Reactions: sce
Thanks for the advice. She is 5 years old. She does kick up but just doesn't get over. It will come with time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back