WAG Pulled my hip flexor today, any advice for pain.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SweetSecrets15

Coach
Gymnast
Today on bars I pulled my left hip flexor during warmups. I was doing cast away kips and on my third one I felt slight pain, but on my fourth it was immense pain and I just hopped down and literally had to take a breath. I couldn't move my leg at all and had to hop around. I stretched it out for about five minutes and then just did simple drills for the rest of bars. Within ten minutes the pain wasn't as bad, and right leg splits made it feel so much better. I tried to do my left leg split and all the pain came back :/ So that was 7 hours ago and it stills hurts. I know it's going to hurt for a couple days, but it's just really annoying and painful. I've been icing it since I got home from practice, but does anyone have any other remedies to speed up pulled muscle pain? Or has someone pulled their hip flexor and have any specific advice?

Thanks!

Ice for pain (10 min), but heat for healing. No Glides or sprinting for a few weeks. Go to PT. hope you feel better soon, but don't keep testing it, just let it heal.

You should see a PT. If that strain is near a growth plate that hasn't hardened, continuing to push yourself could rip that sucker off, requiring surgery. If you're old enough to be on ChalkBucket, you may not have to worry about your growth plates anymore. Even if it's not affecting a growth plate, you may have other issues actually causing the hip flexor strain - tight hamstrings, etc. The PT will figure this stuff out.

Going along with what wallinbl said, go to an orthopedic, preferably one that specializes or knows gymnastics. Do pt as well.

However, I am old enough to be on chalkbucket and my growth plates are still wide open. They closed slightly, but still prone to injury. So get that checked out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back