Parents Qualifying for States

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

5birds

My level 4 dd has had a back injury and is finally back in the gym doing bars and beam.she will go to her first meet as a level 4 in 2 weeks. She will probably not compete vault and floor until mid February. How does this work for qualifying for states in early April? She will not be competing all around at sectionals. Does that mean she can't go to states?

Each state has their own rules about how to qualify. There may be a petition process for injury cases, but you'll have to check with the governing body for your state. In our state, we don't have "sectionals"...just have to achieve the required score during the season.

If she has hit the qualifying score at other meets this year, she will be able to petition in for medical reasons. But it sounds like she hasn't. I would be more concerned about getting her back into shape and healing properly at this stage.

We are definitely concerned with her healing properly and getting back into shape. She does physical therapy exercises everyday. She will not be doing any back extensions until the doctor okays them. The doctor thinks her injury was a stressed area and not an actual fracture. States will be 5 months from her diagnosis. She has been in a Boston brace for 7 weeks/23 hours and starts wearing a soft brace with hard back today. She will be in it for at least the next month.
I am more just curious what happens when you have not made it to a sectional to qualify for states. She does not have any meets in our own state that she will be competing all around. Doctor says she can compete all around in February. I don't know how ready she will be skill wise. She is 8 years old and really wants to go to States with her teammates.

In the state DD competes in, the qualifying score in compulsories has to come from an instate meet. Her state does not have a sectional meet though. Best thing to do is ask the HC or look at your state's usag website for information. Even if she doesn't make it, she could still go and cheer on her teammates? Hope that she is healing well!

I know she wants to go, but I would not put any emphasis on it AT ALL. I'd assume she couldn't go, tell her we will get a hotel room and she can still "go" and watch and praise her determination for coming back like she did.

Even once she comes back, things will likely not be pretty for a while, and having to qualify for states in one or. Two meets might put an incredible amount of pressure on her after the stress of being injured. If she can petition---great, but treat it as no big deal either way.

Easier said than done, I know, but think marathon and not sprint!

I know in our state a coach can petition to use an out-of-state meet score to qualify for state. Perhaps your coach can look into that? Good luck!

We had a girl on our team who was out the entire season, but I assume they petitioned her in to states, as she did compete. Our qualifying score is ridiculously low anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back